Monthly Devotion: the Holy Family
As we are slowly getting into a new routine, I feel the necessity of adding some fun, family time back into our schedule. We have all been a little tense, tired, and out of focus. How appropriate to look at the Holy Family as an example for my own. It is time to refocus on family prayer, giving to others, and creating memories together. It is shaping up to be a busy month and I would hate for it to fly by without intentional family moments.
Groundhog Day // Candlemas (February 2nd)
- A special prayer and candlelit meal.
- Telling of the presentation story using our stick puppets.
- **New** Make roll change candles for the collection basket at Mass.
First Friday (February 3rd)
We have plans with our local Catholic homeschooling families to attend morning Mass, followed by an activity. This month we will look to Our Lady of Lourdes, and make a homemade grotto to giveaway to our Catholic brothers and sisters in nursing homes.
Our Lady of Lourdes (February 11th)
- Take a virtual pilgrimage to Lourdes.
- Our Lady grotto paper craft.
- Pray a Rosary for the sick, suffering, and dying.
- Watch Bernadette: The Princess of Lourdes or The Song of Bernadette.
Saint Valentine's Day (February 14th)
- Create cards to mail out before date. Marble roll hearts (using rimmed cookie sheets and paper hearts) for the grandparents, and cards for our parish's priests.
- Me - send love messages to the kids.
- Me - send "vows to my valentine" for my husband.
- Craft - St. Valentine mosaic.
- Hearty bagels for breakfast and a spaghetti dinner.
Miss Z's Baptism (February 19th)
President's Day (February 20th)
- Mention that on this day John Glenn first orbited the Earth in 1962.
- Do a family project - paint a patriotic pot to eventually plant bright, sunny marigolds.
Mardi Gras (February 21st)
- Wear masks and beads, and dance to fun music after dinner before hiding the Alleluia.
- Pancakes - at some point in the day!
I am working on our Lenten plans as well since it is just around the corner, and time is flying by!