Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer with the Saints: St. Benedict


Today we celebrated Saint Benedict for our Summer with the Saints. The day dawned stormy and wet so everyone ended up gathering at my house. It was full but fun! This week one of the moms took charge so I had a nice break but I forgot to take pictures! I really need to attach my camera to my eye. I just become involved and I forget. What can I do?

O gracious and holy Father,
give us wisdom to perceive You,
intelligence to understand You,
diligence to seek You,
eyes to see You,
a heart to meditate on You,
and a life to proclaim You,
through the power of the spirit
of Jesus Christ our Lord.

~~St. Benedict of Nursia

Saint Benedict started off as a well-educated young man but fear of losing his soul to wordly pleasure led him to give up his inheritance and move to a quiet village. Still, the Lord called him to even deeper solitude and so he left for the mountains of Subiaco to live the life of a hermit under the guidance of another. Others were attracted to his holiness and way of life but to many it proved too strict. Others even tried to poison him. One by a cup of wine (which cracked) and the other by a loaf of bread (taken away by a raven). Eventually, St. Benedict founded the monastery that became the roots of the Church's monastic system. The feast day of St. Benedict is on July 11th.

Holy cards the kids made.

For the activity, the kids made St. Benedict crosses made with popsicle sticks and printed pictures. To introduce the craft, the kids were shown an actual St. Benedict cross used by the presenter's brother, a priest, when he blesses those in need to resist temptation or in times of trouble.



Saint Benedict, pray for us!

No comments: