Friday, April 8, 2016

Giving Thanks Among Life's Lemons

If my last post's gloom and doom didn't scare you off, I should share with you that my world has been shifting toward a new path recently, which just may have tipped the scale a bit more towards the melancholy.

For one, our homeschool has felt out of whack for awhile now (and not just the winter blues). A good talk with a friend helped in "letting go" of current frustrations to find joy again.

A second thing has been a huge feeling of stress and unrest with our home. I'm still sorting and praying on this one.

Third, while we made it through most of the winter in good health, we more than made up for it during Lent. I was exhausted. Miss Z was super sick with some form of tonsilitis. She was nearly admitted to the hospital for breathing issues due to grossly swollen tonsils. My husband and I took turns holding her upright to sleep for multiple nights, staying awake to make sure she was breathing. She's doing great now, but that illness spread and we stayed sick from then on.

One of the colds went into my chest, which was just miserable. If you get bronchitis and laryngitis routinely, you know what I mean. I still have a hoarse voice and I lost it nearly a month ago!

Finally, as I was scrambling to pack for vacation and get medicine for myself, Mr. A landed himself in the ER with onset Type 1 diabetes. We were supposed to leave for vacation the following day in the wee hours. Instead, we found ourselves transported to a pediatric hospital to learn all about taking care of our son.

The good news is that Mr. A is doing fabulous. I had known the signs and caught it early. He is taking ownership of the disease and we are trying to sort out all we knew about food and fitting into this new lifestyle.

So many blessings among all this unrest...

...Our health is steadily improving (we did catch colds on our way home from vacation!).

...Vacation was wonderfully relaxing - it felt so nice to be in the sun and walk everywhere.

Ok. Not sunny here but we're on the beach!

The ocean was cold but that didn't stop the kids.

...We were so blessed with nearly all the hospital staff and our pharmacy. They have been wonderful in helping us with Mr. A's diabetes.

...I am so thankful this happened before and not while on vacation.

...I am thankful for less stress in our homeschool which helps to slow me down and calm me.

...Mr. A's diagnosis really hit home the fragility of life and how blessed we are to wake each day in each other's company, no matter if cranky or smiling.

In the ER at diagnosis. (I can make a new post on type 1 if anyone is interested.)

About two weeks post-diagnosis. He had gained back 6 pounds!

...I am thankful for sleep. We still need to do middle of the night blood sugar checks. I can never go back to sleep after so when I do sleep, it is great.

...Also, with taming blood sugars, the mood around this house is more calm and focused. Much needed!!! Let's just say two of my children are like oil and water. I'll leave it to you to guess which two.

...And spring is coming! It may not seem like it with gray skies and "thunder snow" in tonight's forecast, but it will be here, sooner rather than later.

So, really, I am not all gloom and doom. I certainly had that emotion swirling inside me, but writing about it helped ease the burden. I truly feel uplifted at the moment, and that is certainly by God's grace, and not my own.

And I am most definitely trying to follow this advice:


2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!