Saturday, March 5, 2016

Saturday Morning Reflection (25): When My Tired is Tired

For weeks now I have been tired. It's natural for a mom to be tired, right? But, this kind of tired is so much more than the normal tired moms face every day. I haven't had a spell like this since last summer. Maybe it was brought on by that "light" bug that kept going round our house. Maybe not. It doesn't really matter. I - we - have to deal with it.

What does one do when all day it is hard to get out of bed, and it is hard to focus? I don't know. I'm still learning and adapting.


Outside My Window... The skies are dull and gray. A little snow remains of the four inches that fell the other day. My kids enjoyed playing in it. That's definitely a positive for homeschooling (as most of the snow melted before school let out). The temps are hovering around 30 and this next week is supposed to get into the 50s and 60s!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School Time... We are nearly done with quarter 3, thank goodness. This time of year is always so rough in the school room (even if it isn't, it feels like it). Exhaustion and homeschooling don't seem to go together, but it can (it has - we've survived).

My tips on surviving such spells...

  • Take advantage of better days to tackle a needed something but don't overdo it.
  • DRINK WATER! So many times, lack of water worsens physical ailments.
  • Stay home. An occasional time out with moms or homeschool friends or whatnot can be a very good thing, but when you physically can't do much, that running around really takes a toll. My husband is kind and hits the grocery store after karate twice a week. We might not save as much - or eat as well - but it saves me from losing a day to grocery shopping.
  • Cut back to basics. For chores, that means, for me, keeping the kitchen and bathroom clean and doing the laundry as needed, even if it means you have piles of clean clothes everywhere. My kids are old enough to help so that is a wonderful help. They take out bathroom trash, put away dishes, vacuum, wipe down tables, pick-up, help with laundry (older boys do towels and karate uniforms; they all can lay out dry clothes to ready for folding and can all put away or help put away).
  • Basics for school - If it's a really bad day, they might work on some independent work that I check off from their quarter goals. On days I can do a little more, I have schooled in bed or off the couch where we read (kids to me or me to them), watch a documentary, and helped with math. Keeping organized and having quarter goals helps tremendously for me so I don't have to think much when my brain isn't working.
  • Eat as well as you can. It's hard because energy spent in preparing food is tough, but eating junk does you no kindness and probably hinders your healing.
  • Be honest. Tell people you can't do something. I hate doing this because in general it seems as if people get annoyed when you say you are tired for the thousandth time. Thankfully, I have some people in my life who are understanding and a few that get it because they experience it first-hand.
  • Be mindful of thankfuls - all those little, and big, things in your day that make it special. When I'm tired, I confess I have a hard time praying. My mind usually blanks out. Even with writing prayers down, mornings are such a haze that I end up forgetting that I wrote it out.
  • Go to confession. For me, an extended time of physical trial becomes a spiritual trial, and if I don't go to confession, it can spiral.
In other school news... 

Mr. A has enjoyed some new books this quarter: finished the Harry Potter series, Owls in the Family by Farley Mowat, Homer Price by Robert McCloskey, Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (audio book), and a few others. He's currently reading There's an Owl in the Shower by Jean Craighead George. Obviously, I never have to encourage him to read.


Mr. D is enjoying science (using CHC's Behold & See 3). I decided to have the kids use CHC after Christmas as I was burnt out on science - school - in general. So far, I have liked it. We read and do it together but if I take small chunks at a time it is doable for me. The experiments have been fairly easy to just pick up and go with them, which is great. Another positive thing, is that I have seen better retention across the board with the kids using CHC. Is it the individual attention?

Now that Miss L's reading is a bit stronger, I started using Memoria Press's StoryTime Treasures with her, and I really like it. We do one lesson a week. The first day we do some prep work (reading words and defining them) before reading the book, or selection from the book. Then, there are 2-3 days using the workbook with reading/writing practice, reading comprehension (I write in the answers for now), and a fun page. As my daughter really likes reading, handwriting, and drawing, this is a good fit for her.

As for Miss Z, she is still working on her ABC notebook. The fact that she is, and that we are about to start letter O, means we have hit on something that works for both her and me. I think I need to do a quick photo update though as I have only blogged through the letter E. :)

For me, I'm struggling through some choices right now. This is my goal:

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Prayers...

...for physical healing and for this "little" bug to leave us for good.

...for a prayer of thanks - that Miss Z never got any sicker than she did. We are so glad we never had to hospitalize her!

...for families worldwide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Health News... A month ago I was doing great and here I am now. That's how it seems to go and is the part I dislike the most - the uncertainty. Yet, it reminds me once again that I truly am not in control overall, and brings to mind:


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today... Eat something. Take a shower. Do the dishes. Try to plan a menu.

This Week... Wrapping up more quarter 3 work. Confession. Cleaning out the girls' room. Grocery shopping. Mr. A's birthday. We are going to let him get a gerbil. He's wanted one for over two years, and has saved to buy some supplies already. I have never had a rodent as a pet so this should be an education.

A Final Thought...


God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better...
    I share many of your suggestions...especially staying home! I must drink more water. I'm horrible at that!
    Have a cozy evening. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully sooner than later. :) Water can make such a big difference, can't it? I seem to have more trouble drinking water as I grow older (the thirst/hunger thing plus not feeling thirsty and also busy with everything that I forget!).

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!