Monday, October 5, 2015

Miss Z's Letter "A"

Miss Z has done a handful of letter and book activities, but now it's time to make her ABC keepsake book. I made it the spine of her "school." I find if I take a little time in the morning to work with her, she is much happier to go off playing while I deal with older siblings.

The plan? Use a notebook like this:


And fill it with letter work (4 pages of letters - one activity a day while remembering or learning the sound):


Day 1: Trace letter with finger, building using Handwriting without Tears wooden pieces, glue on similar shapes cut out of construction paper.

Day 2: Letter collage using stickers of objects that start with the letter A (use what you have to keep it simple and cheap).


Day 3: Letter hunting and matching. Since Miss Z is good at recognizing capitals already, I decided to separate big and little letters. Here, she pasted on apples to match "A's" to "A's" and "a's" to "a's." Here is the printable.

Day 4: Letter art! This is Miss Z's angel from our day out with local homeschooling Catholics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To round Miss Z's "school" we worked out of the Who am I? Image of God series (workbook A). I do use the teacher's manual with this (for once!). With each new letter, she also colors and makes an ABC saint toilet paper person.

I also printed off pages to fill page protector sheets so she can use a dry erase marker and do more if she desires. I put it all in a binder and plan on renewing the pages each month. This is a good space for pre-writing skills, math worksheets, writing/letter practice, name practice, blank drawing space, and anything seasonal or liturgical. She likes it.

I really could do so much more, but this is just perfect for a child who is dying to learn and a mom who is busy with older ones in the homeschool.

(See the preschool page for more ABC fun.)

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sounds wonderful, have fun!