Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Little Things Matter

Powered by BannerFans.com

Today I wondered what to write about. Since it is Sunday I thought maybe I would have a scheduled prayer or quote so that I would not have to worry about it. Then, I felt a small nudge, a nudge to keep quiet and still. To wait.

Waiting is never easy I suspect for anyone, but for me, it is excruciating.

I sat at church today, preparing for Mass, as much as anyone can with two children hanging on her and the toddler trying to climb on top of the railing in front of us. Suddenly, it hit me. Something so silly really. Something I already know but is so easy to forget.

The little things matter. The little things are in fact the big things. Why worry or wait for something big to happen when all around us little things happen all the time?

So what if I spend all my time feeding the poor around me if I fail to feed my own and my family's souls? What good is it to give thanks publicly if I fail to develop a sense of thankfulness for all that I have? Why teach my children the faith if I have no faith?

All these questions are rhetorical of course. Daily we strive for the goal of heaven. Naturally, some days we succeed much more visibly than on others.

At the end of the day we have to remember it is all the little things we do -- caring for our family, consistently praying for those around us, giving our worries up to Jesus, teaching and forming our children, cooking multiple meals daily -- all these add up to something quite big, God sees you even when it feels as if no one else does. And that something is worth waking up for.

I think St. Therese of Lisieux says it so much better:

"We must do all that lies in our power; we must give without counting the cost; we must constantly renounce ourselves. In one word, we must prove our love by all the good works we can perform; but, since all that we can do is very little, it is of the greatest importance that we put our confidence in Him who alone sanctifies those works and that we recognize that we are indeed useless servants, hoping that the good Lord will give us through grace all that we desire."

St. Faustina, today's saint of the day, says it even more simply:


What small thing can you do today out of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!