Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thankful Thursday: school & snow

Today I am THANKFUL for feeling so well the past two weeks (as in, so well, this is what I imagined how I would feel if I were "normal," hehe). It sure helped when I woke up today... feeling not so well thanks to an itty bitty cold the kids are sort of sick with. Does that make sense? Just enough icky to make them a bit extra cranky and sniffly but not so much to slow them down.

Unfortunately for me, that cold began with falling asleep this morning (while my son was reading to me!) and waking up to difficulty breathing. Boo. So I tried my inhaler which is actually helping this time and stationed myself in bed. So I am THANKFUL for schooling in bed.


I'm THANKFUL that as I write this post my breathing is calmer and easier.

I'm THANKFUL for my new school organizer:


I do pretty well with organizing menu plans, and school ideas, but handling the weekly paper work was a mess. I had stacks everywhere. I kept seeing Dawn's system, and seeing it again, I thought, why not? It's only been this week, but I have a good feeling about this. I didn't go full out as she does but have adapted the manila file folders to my use. I'll be sure to post a yay/nay in the future if it sticks.

I am THANKFUL for school with littles. In an attempt to devote more time to my 4 year old, we are reading a book and doing related activities, along with letter sounds and formation. This was our first week (reading Over in the Meadow, illustrated by David A. Carter). The plan is to keep it simple, keep it intentional, keep it seasonal, and keep it fun but not exhausting for me. So far, Miss Bear loves it - and Miss Z too! If you like that kind of thing, I'm slowly adding my books/potential activities to my pinterest board, School for Littles: Books & Activities.


I'm THANKFUL for coming across the idea of a blob map. The boys are making more circles than shapes, but we will get there. We're on an adventure in Geography with a continent study. Up first: Antarctica. Here's Critter's second blob map:


I'm THANKFUL that we can have a day out doing something different and not always stuck inside with our books. Like going to a play (Willy Wonka Jr.). Don't you love how she's sitting?


Or, while public school kids have a day off, we keep going so we can take "sun days" instead of "snow days." Here, the kids are finishing a project three years in the making - our patriotic flower pot for President's Day. Painting is always fun, never a chore (except for Mom).


Or taking a break for plain old fun with my kids. They built a pile of junk in the basement and climbed on it. We sang and danced and threw balls at each other.


I'm THANKFUL that I had the hopeful feeling that this would be the last snowstorm (I know, silly of me):


I was wrong. But I am THANKFUL that we made it home finally on Monday night - safe and sound - even if we had to park at the end of the drive and shovel out the driveway of 15 inches of snow, thanks to new snow and drifting.


I'm THANKFUL the next day dawned bright and sunny, and that we had nowhere to go. Instead, the temperatures rose and we played outside. I'm THANKFUL for my little helpers:





I'm THANKFUL yesterday dawned sunny yet again, and I heard this little bird singing away. Can you see him?


I'm THANKFUL Spring is near. Even my cat agrees.


I'm THANKFUL to hear the drip-drip-dripping of melting ice and snow, and that all these dangerous icicles are gone off after rough, house-shaking avalanches.


I'm so THANKFUL for all the fresh air this week.




With all this warmer weather, we woke one morning to the sound of rushing water. Unfortunately, an outside pipe froze and burst in our garage. THANKFULLY, it was connected to the well water and not the county water, which we use inside the house so repairs can wait until spring.

I'm THANKFUL for sleeping babies, even if it seems to occur more in my bed than hers. She keeps waking up screaming, even in my bed. I can't tell if it's pain or just a stage (she's fine during the day).


I'm THANKFUL for dance and how much Miss Bear loves it. Last Friday was parent visitation and since her class size is so small, her teacher let our entire family go. I think we might have two girls in dance soon. Miss Z loved it, and was so mad when she could not join her big sister on the floor.


I'm THANKFUL Skipper's loose tooth for forever finally fell out! I'm even more THANKFUL when he wrote this sweet note (he does not write much on his own):


The note reads: "Dear tooth fairy, if you want to write a note on the back, it's fine. I really want you to come." Yes, the tooth fairy has sometimes forgotten to visit at our house.

I'm THANKFUL for sweet hugs and kisses before bed:


I'm THANKFUL that this guy is so mature, loveable, and sweet. I'm THANKFUL his headaches seem to be migraines - poor guy - but the doctor is still watching him to make sure (my pocket book too...).


I'm THANKFUL for solo time with Miss Z, and her cute antics in front of the bathroom mirror after bath.


Above all, I am very THANKFUL for a sense of peace this week. May you have a peaceful week as well, and hopefully enjoy some Springy weather too!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole...just stopping in for a visit. Had to laugh at the tooth fairy bit...same has happened here. Last minute rescues with the money being "found" under the bed occurred more than I care to admit. :)

    I also want to give you a link to sign a petition to defend the Holy See. My parish priest forwarded it to my husband along with a letter from the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute. I'd like to forward the letter to you so you can send to all your Catholic friends and family so please email me at lo.supersunshine@gmail.com. Here's the link. http://defendtheholysee.org/share/

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clicking the link above automatically signed the petition for me, which is fine. I sent you an email.

      Delete
  2. What a great post, love reading all the things you are thankful for. Hope the cold is quick and you are feeling better already. Looks like you are all having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sylvia, I love Jamie Jo's thankful posts at http://makemeasaint.blogspot.com/. She's inspired me to do my own. I really like doing these posts too. Even with a bad day/week, finding those little things makes everything a little nicer. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. Awwww, thanks Nicole!

      Doesn't it help to get through the hard weeks with little children and a busy house? It helps me so much to stay positive!!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful post. With all the negativity in the world and on facebook, I love coming here and reading all the things you are thankful for. I'm sorry to hear about your son's headaches. Would you be open to trying a natural essential oil treatment? I could send you a sample and directions on how to use. Let me know. I hate headaches and nobody should have them, especially not children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisa, thank you. You know I enjoy visiting you too with all your beautiful pictures. I would definitely be open to alternative treatments. I've actually had essential oils on my mind but haven't had any time to research it. I'll send you an email.

      Delete
  4. SO sorry I did not do a link up this past week!! I loved your thankfuls! Yay, for Skipper's lost tooth!! (his note is so cute) My girls always draw pictures...I explain that the tooth fairy is very very busy and might not have time to draw a picture back!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!