Saturday, February 15, 2014

Saturday Morning Reflections (17): St. Valentine's Style

As a kid, I remember enjoying making my valentine's box and picking out my valentines for each individual of my class (sometimes making them, sometimes buying). I remember in high school receiving a few carnations (red = love, white = friend, pink = an admirer). I even remember when everyone called this "holiday" Saint Valentine day, though I had no idea what that meant. It was only the name of a day.








I remember hearts and cupids and plenty of red, pink, and white to celebrate the day. And stores filled with candy, cards, and red flowers.





I remember special meals and a date night out.




I had an idea of love, didn't I?

...Didn't I?

Now, so many years later, the kids do so many of the same things I did as a child. I see them growing, trying to understand. They are luckier than I was.

They know why the day is called Saint Valentine (though no more in today's shortened, Valentine's-only day).


Perhaps they still have quite a journey to go in learning the meaning of love, the sacrifice of loving someone (as do I), but they are on their way, I hope, I pray.


They are on their way.

We are thankful for the gift of love and for the gift of knowing that
You are here watching over us in everything we do.
Your power of healing and love for others has shown us the true meaning
Of loving others, ourselves and most of all, God.
The first blooms of the crocus flowers in spring
symbolize a celebration of new life
 New beginning and a new person in all of us.
Your continuous blessing of hope, strength, courage and love
Will strengthen and enrich our faith in you.
Carry us on your wings of love and sweet flowing grace. 
Inspire us to help others and dedicate our lives to the service of others.
Guide us through life and through all the obstacles and difficulties. 
Let us not be tempted to do things against your will. 
Let peace and justice be in our hearts and let
Helping others be our mission.
This we ask through Jesus Christ’s name.
Amen.
J.P. DelCarmen (student graduate of St. Valentine Elementary School) - source

4 comments:

  1. Great blog posts, looks like you had a wonderful day! Love all the crafts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylvia, it really was a nice day. A really nice week overall too.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful prayer at the end, and beautiful reflections of a wonderful St Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie Jo, always glad to have you visit!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!