Sunday, September 29, 2013

Feast of the Archangels: a celebration


Today we celebrated the Feast of the Archangels (or "Michaelmas" as some call it) in the Catholic Church. Since it is a Sunday, I kept it simple and had a special Sunday dinner using foods tying in to the tradition and theme of the day.

Flowers - traditionally asters, but we have none growing around us so I had the kids fill a vase with signs of the season. This day to me feels like a transition, the end of summer and into fall officially (more so than the "official" day of fall last Sunday).


Roasted Chicken - Geese are traditionally eaten. Makes sense. Migrating geese. Fall. Why not? We used our own fowl of abundance instead.

Carrots and Potatoes - Carrots for St. Raphael who healed Tobit's eyes (see the Book of Tobit) since carrots are "good for our eyes." Potatoes, just because. They are a natural transition from summer to fall.

Raspberries - the last of the summer berries. 


Deviled Eggs - the kids used "sword" toothpicks to stab the devil out. On this feast day, you must include some sort of devil and sword for the kids. The boys especially are fond.


Wild Berry Spumante - our drink of the night (non-alcoholic). It was a mix of berries and quite yummy. Again, last of the berries, and Irish tradition tells us it is bad luck to eat blackberries after today.

Apple Crisp - seems the perfect ending for an end of summer / beginning of fall kind of meal, doesn't it? It was delicious! Except for Miss Z who loved the crisp but as soon as she tasted an apple went, "Ew" and wouldn't touch another bite.



My husband and I actually found a bottle of "angel food" wine last night, but it was nasty. I used it on the chicken and veggies today, which worked quite well.

I hope you had a beautiful day!

A Prayer to the Archangels

Heavenly King, You have given us archangels
to assist us during our pilgrimage on earth.

Saint Michael is our protector;
I ask him to come to my aid,
fight for all my loved ones,
and protect us from danger.

Saint Gabriel is a messenger of the Good News;
I ask him to help me
clearly hear Your voice,
and to teach me the truth.

Saint Raphael is the healing angel;
I ask him to take my need for healing
and that of everyone I know,
lift it up to Your throne of grace
and deliver back to us the gift of recovery.

Help us, O Lord,
to realize more fully the reality of the archangels
and their desire to serve us.

Holy angels,
pray for us.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!