Monday, July 22, 2013

Perfect Cake for Summer


Here's a sweet way to kick off 7 days of blogging, am I right? 

I was going through my recipe notebook of way too many recipes to try, when I came across a recipe for a crockpot Peanut Butter cake. I have no idea of the original source unfortunately, and it was a "regular" old mix using wheat flour and such so I had to convert it anyway.

And let me tell you, oh.my.goodness. It was yummy! What makes it perfect for summer? The crockpot of course! Now you can have your summer heat and eat your cake too.


Let's get to work!

Grease up your crockpot really well. Mine is circular, a 4 or 5 quart. I think 5, but it's cheap and it's not marked anywhere on it.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the following:
  • 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (if your mix does not have xanthan gum, try adding 1/2 tsp.)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder (unless your pre-mix already has it)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Melt 1/2 cup almond butter (you can use peanut butter - I switched it up because of my allergic reaction that's not a true allergy, whatever that means). I did mine in the microwave and it only took ten seconds since my almond butter was thin to start with.

Add the almond butter to the flour mix, along with 3/4 cup milk (I used coconut milk), 1 Tbps. oil, and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Mix well until thoroughly combined, scraping as needed. Spread mixture into bottom of crockpot.

Combine 1 cup boiling water with 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, and 1/2 cup sugar. The mixture will be extremely thin. Don't worry! Just pour it over your cake batter. Cook on high. Mine took around 2 hours. Time will depend on size and shape of your crockpot so just keep an eye on it and cook until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

The end consistency was somewhere between a cake, a quick bread, and bread pudding. The chocolate "syrup" was the cake's surprise.


Serve warm. Add ice cream or a chocolate drizzle if you want (my kids did!). But it was just as good alone.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!