Friday, July 26, 2013

Feast of Saints Ann and Joachim


Today the Catholic Church celebrates the feast day of Saints Anne and Joachim, Mary's mother and father, and Jesus' grandparents, and my family celebrates a name day.

In anticipation of this feast day, the kids and I created a little free art yesterday with poster paint and watercolors. They painted a picture for each set of grandparents. I even joined them to paint pictures for my grandparents. One is never too old to paint pictures for grandparents. ;)

We also made some yummy peanut butter kiss cookies to go along with the surprise delivery.

 
My Grandma and the flowers I painted for her.

Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies



If you are looking for an extremely easy gluten-free treat for yourself or friends, this cookie is it.
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
Mix thoroughly. Drop into balls, and slightly flatten (for hershey kiss - or flatten and criss-cross with a fork). Bake for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Immediately add kisses. Allow to cool on tray until you can move them to the cooling rack. They are really soft when they first come out of the oven but then firm up quickly.

**If making these for gluten-free friends or family, be sure to use new containers of peanut butter and sugar, and to line cookie sheets with parchment paper to minimize cross-contamination.

After dinner I surprised the kids with *watermelon* popsicles. (Red and green are colors associated with St. Ann.)


Watermelon Popsicles

  • watermelon chunks, fresh, to fill half the blender
  • sweetener, if desired
  • popsicle molds
  • green sherbet ice-cream
Blend watermelon, adding sweetener if desired. Pour 3/4 of popsicle molds. Freeze slightly at this point to have the popsicles look like pieces of watermelon. Once slightly frozen, add soft green sherbet ice-cream to tops and put in holders. Freeze rest of the way. I ran out of time so I added the ice-cream right away and it just makes a marbled popsicle. Still good, or so I hear!


My grandparents and the penguin pair I painted for them.

Parents of Mary, pray for all parents that they may provide the 
loving home and faithful teaching that you provided your daughter. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!