Friday, March 8, 2013

Look who's 8!

Eight years ago - almost - Skipper was born (5:26 pm exactly), just a little 8 and a half pound bundle. He had the fun adventure of being the first baby, and so I was utterly clueless, which was a very good thing in retrospect. His pregnancy was difficult on me. While my blood pressure did not rise continuously until the last weeks of pregnancy, I had long ago put myself on a limited bed rest because it was difficult to do much physically. Even a short walk around the block left me winded, contracting, and in a lot of pain. Eventually, I was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia and put on bed rest for nearly two weeks before an induction was begun. Thankfully, labor was a short nine hours, and I can say with certainty that of all my children, his was the worst labor, and recovery.

But you know, we had a baby at the end, a baby who was so sweet... for the first hour anyway... and then came the crying, and the endless feedings, and all the other stuff that I thought came with motherhood - and most of it does - but I also have learned a thing or two and realize he actually was a tough baby initially. But God certainly graced me with a peacefulness and an endurance that I have rarely known, and I literally felt like I breezed through those months (after the initial few weeks anyway) despite my first 3 hour break coming close to 3 months.

Skipper grew into a happy, happy baby, always smiling and laughing. He loved to play with people, not toys, but as he grew older books and blocks became his next favorite thing behind people. He has such a sweet, gentle personality, with a natural nuturing and protective instinct, along with a touch of comedic relief. What a blessing he is. Where have the years gone?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mom's Notes:

Favorites: mac-n-cheese, Sonic, summer, snow boots, audio and real books, playing Xbox and computer games, wearing pjs all day, his teddy.

Hates: haircuts (leave it long!), dressing in *real* clothes, eating fish, people sniffing.

He's on his way to reaching his daddy's height (of 6'8") at 54.75 inches tall, and I think he will prove just as skinny growing up. He is 63 pounds and all legs and arms.

His birthday is on a Friday during Lent this year so we will celebrate on Sunday with family and a Sonic cake (of course!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Parent's Prayer for Their Children

O God the Father of mankind, who hast given unto me these my children, and committed them to my charge to bring them up for Thee, and to prepare them for eternal life: help me with Thy heavenly grace, that I may be able to fulfill this most sacred duty and stewardship. Teach me both what to give and what to withhold; when to reprove and when to forbear; make me to be gentle, yet firm; considerate and watchful; and deliver me equally from the weakness of indulgence, and the excess of severity; and grant that, both by word and example, I may be careful to lead them in the ways of wisdom and true piety, so that at last I may, with them, be admitted to the unspeakable joys of our true home in heaven, in the company of the blessed Angels and Saints. Amen.

O Heavenly Father, I commend my children to Thy care. Be Thou their God and Father; and mercifully supply whatever is lacking in me through frailty or negligence. Strengthen them to overcome the corruptions of the world, whether from within or without; and deliver them from the secret snares of the enemy. Pour Thy grace into their hearts, and strengthen and multiply in them the gifts of Thy Holy Spirit, that they may daily grow in grace and in knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ; and so, faithfully serving Thee here, may come to rejoice in Thy presence hereafter. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Skipper! (The years surely go by quickly...says the mom whose eldest will soon turn 22! Enjoy this time, the good, the bad and the ugly :) Make some sweet memories (and take lots of pictures for when the brain gets a little forgetful). Hope you all have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa Maria. My son was just so happy to turn 8! I do take lots of pictures but I am horrible at keeping track of them. I like to make the kids a very small photo book each year for their birthday covering the year before. They love it and I am thinking I should just order a copy for myself!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday to your sweet son!! Loved his story and his likes/dislikes, very fun to read! (and look back on someday!) My husband is 6ft6!! Rarely does he see anyone taller than him! It's hard to find clothes, he's not fat, just tall. AND when he does, they are very expensive!!

    My hardest baby/toddler--well, til she was 5 to be exact is now my easiest. Funny how that works!

    My oldest will 13 tomorrow (Sunday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie Jo, thank you, and yes, finding clothes is difficult! Even a "big and tall" store is usually just big. Now that my husband works at home he doesn't need so many clothes which is nice!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!