Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Lady of Lourdes



While the Catholic world went a bit crazy at the news of Pope Benedict's resignation, the kids and I enjoyed a nice productive day at home on this Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes. Praise God, I have been headache free for two days now!!! This new medicine must be working. It really feels like a little miracle. I thank you for any prayers you may have offered up.

All this has certainly reinforced my desire to take better care of this body God has given me, not only for my own selfish reasons, but for Him and for those I am in charge of. And, not only that, but I feel such a need to pray during the easier times to bolster my family through the rough ones (and to pray for those who suffer so much more). Oh, I have such feelings, but absolutely no words right now.

Funnily enough, there are some humorous moments to having migraines (what's life after all without humor?). During attacks I cannot think straight and so often mix up words or cannot finish a train of thought. My oldest boy, in particular, thinks it's funny to correct me. You know the little eye rolling, laugh at silly mom attitude that kids naturally pick up on? The other day I was telling my husband how I had asked Skipper if he was feeling ok because his "peeks were chink." While retelling the story, I said, "I am headless" when I meant to say, "I can't think straight [with these headaches]." Perhaps I might as well be headless, right? ;)

Anyway, off to today. Any feast that involves Mary is a load of excitement for Miss Bear. She just loves Mary and I love that she does too. We read the book, Our Lady of Lourdes, and then the kids had "art" while creating our grotto replica out of gluten-free Cocoa Pebbles rice crispy treats that I made up last night. I helped with the main part of the grotto, and then they filled in with more chunks of "rock." We added a blue-tinted bowl of water, a rosary, and our little peg saint dolls to finish it off. For a more polished grotto - and better directions - check out Catholic Cuisine.


For dinner, I made a crock-pot French onion soup (with my own alterations of course), with gluten-free beer bread, and a nice green salad with French dressing. Yum! I may have been the only one to have enjoyed the meal in its entirety, but hey, a girl needs some French onion soup every few years or so.



I think the most excitement came when I told the kids they could eat as much of the dessert as they wanted so it would be gone before Wednesday. Oh, it was gone within five minutes. Even Miss Z had a few pieces, and I am sure I don't have to tell you how much she loved it. ;)

The next few days are busy, busy, busy here so I pray you have a great start to Lent!
Hail Mary, poor and humble Woman, Blessed by the Most High! Virgin of hope, dawn of a new era, We join in your song of praise, to celebrate the Lord’s mercy, to proclaim the coming of the Kingdom and the full liberation of humanity.
Hail Mary, lowly handmaid of the Lord, Glorious Mother of Christ! Faithful Virgin, holy dwelling-place of the Word, Teach us to persevere in listening to the Word, and to be docile to the voice of the Spirit, attentive to his promptings in the depths of our conscience and to his manifestations in the events of history. 
Hail Mary, Woman of sorrows, Mother of the living! Virgin spouse beneath the Cross, the new Eve, Be our guide along the paths of the world. Teach us to experience and to spread the love of Christ, to stand with you before the innumerable crosses on which your Son is still crucified. 
Hail Mary, woman of faith, First of the disciples! Virgin Mother of the Church, help us always to account for the hope that is in us, with trust in human goodness and the Father’s love. Teach us to build up the world beginning from within: in the depths of silence and prayer, in the joy of fraternal love, in the unique fruitfulness of the Cross. 
Holy Mary, Mother of believers, Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us.
 from Pope John Paul II's prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,

    I didn't forget about Our Lady of Lourdes either! I've no doubt the Blessed Mother is interceding for Pope Benedict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying that your migraines stay away! I know from personal experience how horrible they can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noreen! I appreciate the prayers!

      Delete
  3. Hi Nicole~Thanks for your visit:)As I popped over to your place, I felt peace looking at all of your beautifully displayed images of Our Blessed Mother. Praise God for good days, huh? I thought that very SAME thing today after a really cruddy week of sickness last week...I need to pray more when I'm feeling good to shore up those bad days. I hear ya, sister! Thanks for sharing your beautiful feast and that soup looks delish. Prayers for healthy days ahead and strength to endure those that aren't so "comfortable." *wink* Peace be with you, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tiffany! A bout of illness is never fun. I pray your recovery is quick.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Sylvia, it was! Having those two days was a gift l needed to get me through the next bout. :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!