Monday, December 17, 2012

Light One Candle: an Advent Song

A few years ago, when my boys were in Catechesis of the Good Shepherd at our then local parish, my oldest came home with a copy of a simple song, "Light One Candle" by Natalie Sleeth. I pulled it out this year and am singing it as I light each appropriate candle.

I love to sing, but in truth, I was not born a singer. This song, however, transforms even a bad pitch like mine into something halfway decent. Plus, my kids - ok, Miss Bear though sometimes Critter too - enjoy trying to sing with me. The good part? The song is very simple, both in lyrics and in melody so it is an easy one for us to learn and do.

In the hopes of sharing the song with you, I tried researching it, but this was the best I could find. For those who can read sheet music, check out sheet music plus. You can see the music easily enough. This particular version is in duet form, but we simply sing together using the top melody. You have the option of paying a very small fee to own the sheet music.

For those who prefer listening and picking up on the song, take a look at this group of children singing it.

Here are the lyrics. Simple, right?

Light one candle for hope,
One bright candle for hope.
He brings hope to everyone.
He comes. He comes.

**For verses 2-4, replace hope with peace, joy, and love.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!