Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christ the King


Christ Jesus, I acknowledge You King of the universe.
All that has been created has been made for You.
Make full use of Your rights over me.

I renew the promises I made in Baptism,
when I renounced Satan and all his pomps and works,
and I promise to live a good Christian life and to do all in my power
to procure the triumph of the rights of God and Your Church.

Divine Heart of Jesus, I offer you my efforts
in order to obtain that all hearts may acknowledge your Sacred Royalty,
and that thus the Kingdom of Your peace may be established throughout the universe.
Amen.

This feast day is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I like how it draws the liturgical year to a close with the reminder that Jesus is our King, no matter what day and age you live in. It sets the stage for Advent, when we prepare ourselves for the birth of Jesus, and it also serves as a reminder that Christ will always be our King, now and forever. 

"And He will come down in glory to judge the living and the dead, and His Kingdom will have no end."

In the past few years it was also my day to prepare a special meal for my family before we headed to our hometown for Thanksgiving meals that were usually pretty stressful, what with all the dietary needs and all. So, for me, on this one day, I enjoyed some time in the kitchen before the rush of holidays began.

This year I had wanted to do a banner craft with the kids but we never got around to it with being so busy preparing for Thanksgiving last week. Still, Mass was nice - the kids got a kick out of seeing Father in new colors today and were excited to hear he will be wearing purple soon. ;) Really, my oldest is not the most observant with details like this so it seems all new to him now that he is aware of it. Yet, this is the same child who can recite a book he just read. Oh, he cracks me up.

Dinner was easy with some leftover Thanksgiving sides - green beans, sweet potatoes, a cornbread with sausage stuffing experiment that turned out great! I added a "spirit" glazed ham that was delicious. And to top off the meal I baked up a very yummy dessert that I only make on this feast day and on New Year's (by popular demand) because if I made it more often, simple as it is, I would be roughly the size of a house. :) And the dessert is... an orange chiffon cake with orange rum sauce. It is so good and quite easy to make, and best of all it is free of the top eight allergens but you do need the book, The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal to have the recipe. My husband says it reminds him of the taste of the frosting from the tube of orange cinnamon rolls you can buy in the store or of the orange cakes put out by Hostess (or should I say were put out?). My parents and my in-laws came to help us eat up the cake and even my father-in-law, who is one of the pickiest eaters I have run into in my short life, tried it and liked it. Yay!

I hope you all had a beautiful day, and for those in the U.S., a nice relaxing holiday weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Love that prayer Nicole! Its part of the Holy Hour of Reparation I do every Friday...isn't it beautiful?

    My 6 year old has doctrine classes in school so I pretty much only need to reinforce what she's learning. She was so exited to come home and tell me that Sunday was all about Jesus being King :) She spent the whole day singing worship songs until the older ones yelled out "Church is over girl!" We were laughing all day.

    Btw...it was my pleasure to direct people to your site. Most of the people who read my blog are other Christian denominations so whenever I share more about my faith I wonder if they'll stick around :) I guess I've lost some over my posts on Mary and perhaps some over the Eucharist, but that's okay, I've made some really good Christian friends from whom I've learned alot. Maybe they're learning some stuff from me too :)

    Hope you're enjoying your Advent preps.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!