Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Year of Faith: some resources + International Week of Prayer and Fasting


For my Catholic readers, I am sure you know that tomorrow starts a Year of Faith as declared by Pope Benedict XVI, but I suppose there is always a chance someone's missed the word... In reality, it is slightly more than a year, beginning on October 11, 2012 and ending on November 24, 2013, the Feast of Christ the King.

I am not going to go into the details as you can do a search and find so much to look at. Instead, I will share some resources that I have found or someone has shared with me.

First, I plan on using this handy little Bible study to go along with the Year of Faith. I enjoy reading my Bible when I first wake up so this will be a nice addition and one that is easily added.

Receive pieces of the catechism in your email every day. By the end of the Year of Faith you will have read the entire catechism. Now, that sounds extremely easy to do! Sign up now!

Here is a page full of info from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and another at Catholic Year of Faith.


One last item I wanted to share does not have to do with the Year of Faith but looks like an awesome way to refocus on prayer with these goals in mind:
  1. Bring a conversion of nations.
  2. Build a culture of life.
  3. Create peace throughout the world.
All are invited to join the International Week of Prayer and Fasting (IWPF) - at the individual, the parish and even the national level. All are welcome (prayer always is, right?). Some ideas (list provided by another mom):
  • Fast  (can be anything from food to television to internet use, etc.).
  • Pray the Rosary daily.
  • Attend Eucharistic Adoration.
  • Recite the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily.
  • Consecrate yourself to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and Sacred Heart of Jesus.
  • Attend Holy Mass daily.
  • Perform Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy.
This is IWOP 20th anniversary! As a result, they are doubling their prayer days to 18 (starts October 20th and ends November 6th), which consists of two novenas. Check out their site and sign up!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing this up. I ordered the Bible study and signed up for the Catechism emails. how cool!! I would have never known b/c I'm so busy and scatterbrained these days. Thank you, Nicole. Your blog is a great treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elisa! I like email reminders (like praymorenovenas.com or is it org?) because otherwise I flake out too. Setting alarms on my phone helps sometimes or scheduling specific times around set things (ie, within 10 minutes of waking I am at the table with a cup of tea and my Bible and whatever inspirational reading I am doing. It's a process bit those little things have helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole,

    Its been crazy around here but I'm finally doing some catch up reading. Thanks for all the great links here, I will definitely check them out.

    Thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog too...I'm glad you visit and get something out of it :)

    Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!