Monday, October 29, 2012

The Rosary with Kids


I have been pretty quiet. Between a large to-do list and lots of thoughts brewing away, I find myself avoiding most of my cyber world. One, I am plain too busy, but also, when my thoughts swirl I tend to seek out the quiet and the routine of home.

However, one thing I wanted to share before the month was out is praying the Rosary with children. Right away I will tell you that I have a hard time praying the Rosary every single day and even more so with the kids. Even though I know I should pray it every day. And even though I have read and heard of so many benefits of praying a family Rosary. It's been a work in progress.


From the Feast of Our Lady of the Rosary earlier this month. 
We made an edible Rosary using fall-themed M&Ms.


In the past I have tried doing "fun" Rosaries (like coloring pages) or praying a single decade with the kids, but it never stuck. The "fun" activities can be overkill and/or too much work for me, and the single decade prayed felt like the prayer was incomplete. So, for this past month, I changed the way we are praying the Rosary, and it has been working as a learning tool on our way to praying a full Rosary.

Instead of praying full decades, I decided to pray a "full" Rosary except only pray one Hail Mary instead of ten per decade after having read this tip somewhere (how I wish I could give credit where credit is due!). Over time I will add more Hail Marys until we are back to the full ten per decade. In addition, I put out images of each mystery (here is a beautiful 8x10 set that we have) and use the meditations from the Rosary lapbook we created last year. As I pray with the kids, I use this shortened version to pray for my kids (for example, for my kids to grow in faith, charity, or whatever each mystery calls for).

Another idea I want to try is a bead by bead meditation as I personally find it easier to stay focused in prayer versus praying ten Hail Marys back-to-back.

One huge bonus of doing this is that it keeps the Rosary fresh in my mind and I have been better able to pray a Rosary of my own later in the day, usually as I nurse Miss Z down for bed. If I get a chance, I like to listen to an audio Rosary with meditations while I do my nightly kitchen clean-up.

How do you pray the Rosary with your child(ren)?

Critter and Miss Bear made these simple decade rosaries.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole...I've not been online much myself and doing some catch up reading so I popped by to see how you're doing.

    My 6 yr old daughter says the rosary every day in school and she carries it around in the pocket of her uniform and whips it out in the car to say a quick decade. So adorable!

    Hope you and yours are well.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum..I bet I could talk my kids into praying the Rosary with me like that..but yes, it is very difficult for us. We just can't do it..they can barely get through the Chaplet. We will figure something out when Daddy is home. He is more motivated now and I think it's sad that 7 years have gone by and we still don't pray the Rosary daily in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, hope all is well with you and yours.

    I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for the Leibster Award. If you choose to accept it, please follow the link below for the details:

    http://shinebrightlyforjesus.blogspot.com/2012/11/more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about.html

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...