Thursday, October 4, 2012

Feast of St. Francis of Assisi


"Offer your bodies and take up His holy cross and follow His most holy commands even to the end." ~ St. Francis of Assisi ~


"Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall enjoy everything." ~ St. Francis of Assisi ~

Today the kids and I went to a local shrine (dedicated to our Sorrowful Mother). I had multiple reasons for going: confession, mass - to offer up the mass for the souls we are praying for as well as for the thanksgiving of another year of marriage (as well as the grace to make it through another year!), and to enjoy the beautiful day we were blessed with. It is also the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi so I thought it appropriate that we were outside, enjoying nature, and we went on a St. Francis statue hunt of sorts - though a tired baby made us leave earlier than I would liked - and we saw plenty more than St. Francis!

Immediately the kids were drawn to the statue of St. Michael the Archangel standing a little way outside the chapel.


All the fallen leaves were irresistible, and soon a pile was formed.



Which finally led to this...


"Oh, how glorious it is, how holy and great, to have a Father in heaven!" ~ St. Francis of Assisi ~



"Sanctify yourself, and you will sanctify society." ~ St. Francis of Assisi ~

Ooh, I just love moss, how soft and squishy it is!


Isn't this grotto of St. Bernadette/Our Lady of Lourdes beautiful?

Lookee what we scared up along the way!


Back at home, I wanted to read the book, St. Francis: a Life of Joy by Robert F. Kennedy, but ran out of time. I did have enough bits of food to throw together an Italian dinner (a dairy-free lasagna of sorts along with some gluten-free French bread to dip in herb-infused olive oil).

Our St. Francis figures (Skipper shows an affinity towards this saint - the statue on the right is his). The "apple" tree in the background is Miss Bear's. She cut grass and added apples using a do-a-dot marker and counted the apples as she went. This was all part of "Fall" week.

You know, after reading through some quotes of St. Francis, I realize that I have only ever read "cutesy" stories, prayers, and quotes about or from him. There were some very stern portions. The quotes definitely piqued my interest in learning more about this popular saint! I pray you had a happy feast day!

Song of Saint Francis

Since God is love,
I'll sing His song.
With God above
I will be strong.
With God within, 
What else need I?
While God shall reign
Can my song die?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!