Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Success of love is in the loving...


"I am not exactly sure what heaven will be like, but I know that when we die and it comes time for God to judge us, he will not ask, 'How many good things have you done in your life?' rather he will ask, 'How much love did you put into what you did?'" ~ Bl. Mother Theresa

Today we honor the memory of Blessed Mother Theresa. What a beautiful person to look to for inspiration on how to live our lives. And what a great example to share with the kids. They loved the quotes I shared (really, there are so many good ones!). We spent a little time talking about how we can serve others, right here, right now, and for some, that can start with a smile.

"Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love." ~ Bl. Mother Theresa

The kids enjoyed this little artsy craft from Family at the Foot of the Cross:


"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love." ~ Bl. Mother Theresa

We also enjoyed a simple lunch of our version of Indian food, which is also perfect because we are studying Ancient India at the moment. :) Chapati (flatbread) with a hummus spread, and veggies. 


Our Gluten-Free Chapati
makes 8 pieces
  • 2 c. gluten-free flour (I used a mix: 1 c. sorghum, 1/2 c. tapioca starch, 1/4 c. buckwheat, 1/4 c. quinoa flour) + more for rolling out dough
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. xathan gum
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. warm water
Get the griddle or pan nice and hot. I used our pancake griddle at 400 degrees. Whisk together all the dry ingredients. When ready to begin, mix in the water. I used my hands but a spoon is fine. Divide into eight balls. The dough will be sticky so use a little extra flour to help with that.

Roll one ball out on the counter with some extra flour. Flatten it with your hand until it is a thin pancake or thick tortilla. Cook on griddle, one side, for a few minutes, flip, and cook another few minutes. Serve immediately. 

These can be made and stored in the fridge. I was able to reheat in the microwave - it is a little more fragile and not quite as good but still decent. A quick reheat in the pan would probably be better.


Last year, we watched the movie, Mother Theresa, and really enjoyed it. Tonight is Skipper's first CCD class so I will spread the movie over a few days or possibly save it for Friday night movie night. Still, we will watch it. It's that good.

Dear Jesus, help me to spread Thy fragrance everywhere I go. Flood my soul with Thy spirit and love. Penetrate and possess my whole being so utterly that all my life may only be a radiance of Thine. Shine through me and be so in me that every soul I come in contact with may feel Thy presence in my soul. Let them look up and see no longer me but only Jesus. Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as you shine, so to shine as to be a light to others. 
~ Prayer of Mother Theresa

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tribute to Blessed Mother
    Theresa, Nicole. As Father said at Mass today...we are all privileged to be able to say that we 'knew' her. There aren't many beatified saints that lived in our lifetime and she was such a beautiful person to emulate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!