Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dinner with the Archangels


Today was such a beautiful day. We enjoyed the day and finished up some outside chores, celebrated the Feast of the Archangels, and wrapped the night up with family and a bonfire. Now, it is time for bed, but not before I share our little dinner with the archangels. I have to say, this was a lot of fun, and oh so delicious!

In the picture above, I colored the three known archangels (St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael) and cut each out, along with the corresponding prayer, before gluing them on a scroll-shaped cardstock. I then taped the cardstock together on the inside so it would stand up as decoration. I thought it turned out cute, and it can easily be broken down to store in my September folder until next year. I used the images from Happy Saints and the prayers you will find below.

During the summer, Catholic Icing hosted a contest to win one of these 8-foot coloring pages from Illuminated Ink, and I actually won!!! I never win at these things, but this time I had. I choose St. Michael the Archangel knowing the boys would like it (Critter in particular is very drawn to St. Michael). I had not pulled it out yet so today was the perfect day to do so. As suggested, I found a clear vinyl shower curtain and let the kids use dry erase crayons. The curtain was not big enough, but the kids only did a little anyway. We were so busy outside! Still, I will keep the curtain around for some free art come winter when we are itching to get out.


Now, onto dinner. We did a little relating and talking, but the table quickly grew silent as we enjoyed our food. My kids are big eaters, but even I was surprised at how much they ate today!

First up, 9-Layer Salad, or as I called it, 9 Choirs of Angels Salad (also known as your average kitchen sink salad). Put in some lettuce and whatever you have hanging out in your fridge to make up a salad. In our case: lettuce, spinach, olives (black and green, yum!), carrots, tomatoes, green onions, parsley, sweet pickles, and dressing.


Then along came some BBQ chicken angel wings. The others dipped theirs in a side of ranch dressing, but I thought the wing were perfect. I used my own sauce of ketchup, honey, and some various spices.


To symbolize St. Michael, I made up some deviled eggs for the others (you know, to "stab" the devil out of). And oh boy, these looked so tempting as I made them, but I have come a long way in feeling better that it is easy to resist. Everyone has their recipe, but I simple choose the mayo of choice (my husband's choice) and whip it well with the yolks, refill the eggs, and sprinkle with paprika.

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the Divine Power of God, cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.


To symbolize St. Raphael, I roasted some carrots in olive oil and almond flour, which gives it a little bit of an au gratin feel. I did not keep a close eye so just ignore the charred bits of carrots. Surprisingly, my boys loved the carrots and even asked for seconds! Carrots are good for eye health and in the book of Tobit, St. Raphael healed Tobias of his blindness.

St. Raphael, of the glorious seven who stand before the throne of Him who lives and reigns. Angel of health, the Lord has filled your hand with balm from heaven to soothe or cure our pains. Heal or cure the victim of disease, and guide our steps when doubtful of our ways.



Since St. Gabriel is known for his messages, I used our own "delivery" food item - pizzadillas (corn tortillas topped with pizza sauce and cheese and baked for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees). 

St. Gabriel, you angel of humanity, you trusting messenger of God, open our ears also for the quiet warnings and calls of the most loving Heart of Jesus! Always be in front of our eyes, we beg you, that we understand the Word of God correctly, that we follow, obey and fulfill that which God wants of us! And assist us in staying awake for when the Lord comes to get us so that He does not find us asleep!



To finish off this scrumptious meal, I made a devil's food cake, which the kids "knifed the devil out of" using butter knives turned swords with the help of a little tin foil. The kids absolutely loved this and we even had a mini life lesson on how to properly cut a cake. For the cake, I used this Red Velvet Cake recipe minus the red food coloring, and the Dark Chocolate Frosting from Cybele Pascal's Book, "Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook."


Here is one last peek at the little bit of coloring onto the vinyl curtain. Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have the entire picture completed. It looked really neat flapping away on my clothesline.


Well, I had hoped to get this post up before tomorrow, but technically it is past midnight so I hope you had a beautiful day yesterday! Enjoy your last day of September. I will be back soon as next week is just chock full of fun feast days. October must be my absolute favorite month! (And hopefully everything reads well as I am quite tired and ready to go to bed! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!