Sunday, July 22, 2012

Beachbody Update

Back in March (wow!), I wrote about trying and reviewing the exercise/shake routine of Beachbody. My brother is a coach and when they came out with a vegan shakeology (tropical - they now have added a vegan chocolate as well!), I decided to try it. Unfortunately, my household had quite a time with illness in the spring just after I posted it so my trial was delayed.

And now, my review can never be a complete one as I found that I am possibly allergic or at the very least, very sensitive to something in the shake mix. The first time I thought it was food poisoning, but when it happened again, well, it was much worse, and I am never having the shake again. However, I have heard positive opinions about the shake from others I actually know. The biggest plus was that it curbs cravings really well. I would add that it also adds more liquid to the diet and no doubt help keeps you regular. The downside for me? The cost. The vegan tropical is $130 for a month's worth. If you had a soda or a coffee habit (or sub a habit in) then, this cost will be nil as you are just replacing one thing for another. However, if you are like me, I only subbed the difference between the meal I would have eaten (breakfast) with the cost of the shake, which is more. Another downside for me is that I hate the idea of relying on a shake long-term for nutrition so while I can see the value of this for an initial program, it is not something I would want to maintain for life.

The exercise... To do the beachbody challenge, you drink a shake a day and complete one of the exercise dvds. There are many to choose from, but I chose the 10-minute trainers because one, I am so out of shape, and two, my time is quite limited. I will say the 10 minute trainers get your heart rate up quickly, and I felt better doing them. My knees started bothering me after doing the program day in, day out, mostly because of the sideway motion. I will say that if you have no exercise experience, and/or are completely out of shape, start with the 10 minute trainers. You can always add them up to make 30. The other programs seemed too much, too soon for beginners. One downside, again, is the cost. There are many other just as effective beginner dvds out there for less. For those with more experience, I have heard many good things about the program. Even for moms like me who have the extra baby belly. In the same breath, however, those moms also said they could not sustain the program due to the time commitment involved.

So, overall, this was a bust for me, which is more than a little frustrating. I have lost all the weight I am going to lose post-baby, I think, and I am nowhere near my starting pregnancy weight. But even more than the weight, I feel plain ugh most of the time so something has to give. After talking with my brother, he gave me a challenge - if I can run a 5k, he will come home next May to run one with me. This race is in memory of a military officer from our hometown, who died in Afghanistan. My brother, who is in the Army, has wanted to run this race since it was first organized. So, challenge accepted! I ran cross-country once upon a time so at least it is not unfamiliar. I am using the couch to 5k program, and have finished the first two weeks, with the plan to run a 5k in October with my niece. The program has a great phone app to help with the walking/running splits. Even better, it is only 3 days a week which is very doable, and does not leave me feeling a failure if I have to switch a day around because of last minute craziness. And, best of all, I love to get outside and it feels so good to be on the road again!

No comments: