Friday, June 29, 2012

Uranus & Neptune: the last of the gaseous planets

This lesson, from Exploring Creation with Astronomy by Jeannie Fulbright, was pretty short, but I found it quite interesting, mostly because of the history involved. I love history, and I found the story surrounding the discovery of Uranus by Sir William Herschel and his sister, Caroline, in 1781 to be the best part of the lesson. In the spirit of discovery, the kids "created" their own planet using a styrofoam ball and paint. Miss Bear loved painting. She was sad when her planet was finished. Soon, these will hang in their bedroom.

Skipper's, Critter's, Miss Bear's

We also did the book's experiments, creating clouds, using hot water, ice, and a lit match. This was a simple experiment, but Skipper was really excited to do it.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, that looks fun!! What great projects!! Thanks for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever heard of that experiment before. how wonderful for young minds !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!