Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Oh! What a Beautiful City!

I am so slow in posting this! There is school to finish, a baby to be fed, a portfolio to gather, and packing to be done after all! We celebrated the sixth Garden of the Good Shepherd party this past Monday (using this sticker/Bible activity). I described a little of each symbol as I presented it to the kids outside because I had misplaced the little booklet. Thankfully I found it - under the Easter storage bin on top of our little red cabinet - of course. Our house is a little topsy turvy at the moment... But now, for our party - enjoy!

Oh! What a Beautiful City!
Symbols to use: crown, the city gates, bride and groom, temple, Alleluia, throne

The Decor

Originally, I was going to decorate up a fancy table and chairs, but the kids wanted to eat al fresco so our "fancy" turned into a picnic, our thrones into beach towels. The kids had been playing in the sprinkler because of a very hot, summer-almost August kind of day! Instead of beautiful music playing in the background (the Alleluia chorus by Handel), we instead listened to God's wonderful creation - and a lawn mower.

The Drink

Shirley Temples - this is a first for me, and the kids. Pop is just never an option in our household (ok, except for my husband who is addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper - yuck!). The one time we let the kids have a sip Skipper hated it but the other two loved it (a little too much). However, these were a huge hit with all three, and I'm just glad it's a once-a-year-kind of thing.

The Meal

A peanut butter bagel "crown" with M&M and Hershey Kisses for jewels. Needless to say, this was a HUGE hit. Too bad for poor Critter though who was suffering still from a little stomach bug.



Gates of Heaven - using Swiss cheese blocks (a new kid favorite) and gluten-free pretzel sticks. Critter was the only one who got into building a gate, and he did a good job!


Bride and Groom strawberries. I know you have the whole dark/white chocolate fancy strawberries, but this did the trick just fine. And, it makes me wonder, how did strawberries gain their romantic status?


The Dessert

Originally, I was thinking of making some kind of crown pudding (using coconut milk, yum!) but in the end with a stomach bug coursing through and it being a light lunch without my husband, I skipped out. The kids had enough treats in this meal anyway, right?

And, while the kids had a pretty kid-scrumptious meal, I was partial to my own little "piece of heaven" - spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and a fresh, raw kale salad straight from the garden with a splash of oil and champagne vinegar.


Don't forget to check out the other parties over at Catholic Cuisine, who I am sure all posted in a much more timely manner than myself!

"I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride dressed for her husband." ~Revelations 21:2

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by mi Blog. I love that your family enjoy the weather and hope Critter feel better now.
    Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and kale salad! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more great ideas. Love the shirley TEMPLE!! you think of great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gardenia. The drink is actually part of Jessica and Charlotte's original menu.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!