Monday, May 14, 2012

The Gardener Plants Paradise


Wrapping up the fifth week of Easter... Today we had our fifth Garden of the Good Shepherd party (using this sticker/Bible activity). This week was tricky. The Bible readings and sticker placing was random, and the meal, though planned, was pretty much thrown together. We have had a lot going on here, but that's for another post! So, here you go, our little party (done today because we were out of town this past weekend and I wasn't prepared enough to take it on the road!):

The Gardener Plants Paradise
Symbols to use: tree of life's leaves, tree of life's fruits, tree of life's flowers, palm tree, owl, olive tree, roses, lilies

The Decor

Simple tablecloth with my Mother's Day/Birthday flowers (I was doubly blessed this year). These had to stand in for the lily since we did not get to our handprint lily craft.

The Drink

Lemonade... Nothing to do with the theme, but it went well with our light lunch menu. I had wanted to find some kind of palm tree umbrellas to add, but never found any, and then was going to print some and add to straws, but that did not get done either! So no palm trees for this party.

The Meal

A pb&j owl sandwich with cucumber slices and olives for eyes (and a carrot slice for a beak). This was super cute, and the kids just loved it!

The Tree of Life's leaves (the lettuce), fruit (at its base), flowers (star-cut cheese), the olive tree (making up the tree of life's trunk). Wow, fun food is a good way to entice kids to try food. Only my oldest ate most of his lettuce, but they at least all tried it, woo-hoo!

The Dessert

My experimental birthday cake, using this strawberry cake recipe (and adding some substitutions) along with this cashew cream cheese icing. I tried making it look like one large rose by running my finger round and round. The icing was incredibly soft so I snagged this picture right away, but by the end of the meal, it was dripping down the sides of the cake and pooling. It did not affect its taste though, which was good - not awesome but at least decent.

Don't forget to check out the other parties over at Catholic Cuisine!

"The Benefits of Finding Wisdom... She is a tree of life to those who grasp her, and those who hold her fast are happy." ~Proverbs 3:18

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of The Tree of Life.Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, that is the sweetest owl, I must day!! Love the way you did his wings. too creative!! and your tree of life is awesome. you have wonderful ideas. I'm so far behind on the GS parties. (By the time I get these last two done, the links have been closed at Catholic Cuisine!) Happy birthday to you!~!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, your party food looks amazing and I'm sure that cake was delicious! I'll stop by Catholic Cuisine and check the other parties out. Its always nice to meet other Catholic women.

    As you can see from my post, its been a long time since I've been online and I have lots of catching up to do. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog and for your prayers. I hope all is well with you and yours.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love it. Simplicity is the virtue of good nature, also your styling with the sandwich is priceless!


    -Oscar Valencia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!