Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Silver Dollar Pancakes

We have done so little for Lent due to all the sickness going round, but with it being Holy Week, I wanted to try and do something extra. Since food had to be made and eaten, I'm focusing much of my effort there. Tonight we had "Silver Dollar Pancakes" for dinner while telling the story of Judas and the betrayal of Jesus. The dollars were more oval than round, and grew bigger by the second helping. Ah well, they were tasty anyway! I almost forgot to snag a picture (not that it is a great picture!). The pancakes were gluten/soy/dairy/egg-free, and I have to tell you, this is probably the best recipe I have made to date! My husband loved them - as did all the kids - and this says a lot with it missing all those pieces.


The Best Pancakes Ever

My inspiration came from this recipe, which I also think would make an awesome gluten-filled pancake (though it is a little on the plain side). I tripled this recipe to feed 2 adults and 3 hungry kids.

First, mix up 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk (or whatever you have on hand) with 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar. Set aside to curdle away.

Next, whip up your "egg" if needed (if not, just use one regular old egg). The first time I made these I used Ener-G egg replacer (1 1/2 tsp. powder + 2 Tbsp. water). This time I used the flax seed egg for a healthy addition: 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed whisked with 3 Tbsp. warm water. Let sit to combine while you whisk up the dry ingredients.

Whisk all the dry ingredients together:

  • 1 cup gluten-free flour mix*
  • 1 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 2 Tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt (I put a few shakes of sea salt in - need less of sea salt than table salt)
Melt 2 Tbsp. Earth Balance soy/dairy-free "butter." Add butter, egg, and milk to bowl. Stir to combine. Make as is on the griddle or add some extras (see my note below). The pancakes take a good few minutes to cook on the one side before flipping.

I like to sneak in healthy stuff to pancakes. This time around we made apple cinnamon pancakes. When I tripled the recipe, I added roughly 3/4 tsp. cinnamon (I don't really measure it) and 2 apples, grated in my mini food processor. The first time around I tried apple/carrot pancakes but found I needed to grate the carrots more. Still good though!


*The GF flour mix I used: 1.5 cups millet flour, 1.5 cups sorghum flour, 2 cups tapioca starch, 1 cup potato starch.

No comments: