Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rediscovering Lent

We are in the midst of rediscovering Lent here. Throw in a drawn-out, yucky illness and apparently all things Lent go out the door (ok, ALL things this time around!). Perhaps my "penance" was the misery of illness. Still, I hate when I lose track and then the kids get off track. I am just now getting my voice back so we can proceed with Scripture reading and our Jesus tree as well as our sacrifice/good deeds jar.

One thing being so sick shoved in my face, aside from how much stuff we have, is how so very weak I am - both physically and spiritually. Physically, I am reminded that our life is but a breath; that one day I will not be so young. Spiritually, how easy it is to "forget" about prayer, to forget about my thanksgivings, to lose sight of my ultimate goal in life - heaven. But here I am, blessed to be reminded of all that, and given a chance to start anew.

What a wonderful, loving, merciful God we have!

5 comments:

  1. =) Great reminders. It seems like the first half of lent goes by so. slowly. Now it is Palm Sunday next Sunday!! Ahh!! Too fast...but I'm okay if time flies. Our jar looks ok...but my kids are not getting nicer. =( Deployment. =( Sigh. I keep thinking that by the end of the year, I will have had enough suffering to bring me straight to heaven after I die! Haha..not really....God is great, all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisa, I can't believe it's nearly Palm Sunday either! And, my kids have been pretty crabby themselves (so have I so it's no wonder...). I hope the rest of deployment flies by for you. Your boys will surely help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I can really relate! We've had illnesses here that have kept me from fulfilling my Lenten commitment which was to attend daily Mass and do an hour of adoration.

    This time its our puppy who has parvo and requires round the clock nursing. I'm sleep deprived and trying not be cranky with everyone. I guess in the daily messes of life all we have to offer is what we're going through at the moment and pray for grace.

    Thanks for your sweet comment over at my place. I actually wrote that piece between 3 and 5 in the morning while keeping my watch.

    Hope we can get back on track soon. Palm Sunday is fast approaching!

    God bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realised your first comment already says that! I didn't read it before...I'll just use sleep deprivation as an excuse! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lisa Maria. I hope your puppy gets well soon so you can get some sleep! I'm always glad to visit you (though I don't always leave comments). :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!