Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Crazy Walk

As an introduction to our spring (or soon-to-be) study of geography, the kids along with a few tag-a-longs went on a "crazy walk." It was simple, and based on an idea I saw years ago, that I think came from Family Fun magazine. I took one of our large foam dice, wrapped some painter's tape around it (for easy removal), and added some directional arrows.


Then we headed outdoors and took a walk around the neighborhood. The catch? At each possible intersection, one of the kids rolled the die and we had to go in that direction, resulting in a lot of backtracking and walking in crazy circles. It was a lot of fun!


I used this idea of no direction the next day when we started in with Beginning Geography and talked about what a map is. It is a workbook type of thing, but geography mostly is, right? The boys loved it, and I was able to change it up a little to include Critter. I think this will be a fun addition to our spring studies.



4 comments:

  1. very exciting adventure, I'm sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Makes a "regular" walk so much more intriguing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome idea! I'd love to try this someday :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!