Monday, January 30, 2012

A Busytown Birthday Party

And a boy who's 5 today!

Yep, five years ago today, my water broke in a gush around 2:30am, kick starting my labor. My boy, who I thought would never come out (he was over a week due), was born at 5:45am, at a whopping 10 lbs, 9 oz. He was all shoulders and chubby cheeks.


For his fifth birthday, Critter wanted a "surprise" party. We typically do not do the party scene except for first birthdays, but after attending two of their cousins in the last few months, both boys requested we have parties. We thought it was a fun idea and said yes, figuring this would give more opportunities for our family to see the new baby as well.

So Critter knew he was having a party, but he did not know the theme. We went with Busytown, a Richard Scarry invention. The kids love the TV shows, Busytown Mysteries, and I do too. Of course, I love the books as well, and so do they. My favorite as a kid was Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! 

Richard Scarry was born in Boston, Massachussetts in 1919. He was married to Patricia Scarry, also a children’s writer. Their son Huck carries-on Richard Scarry’s work today. Richard Scarry passed away at his home of Gstaad, Switzerland in 1994. Whenever asked how old he was, he would always put up one hand and laugh: ” Five!” How appropriate that his characters take the stage for Critter's party.

Some books and a game.

Kiddie favor bags - glued on images and the bags filled with a coloring page, a coloring page activity, magnifying glass, "mystery" jelly bean candies, small notepad and pencil, and a party blower.

Cupcakes with Busytown character toppers (bought off Etsy). Recipes from my favorite dessert book, The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal.

I had planned on having a "Cake Mystery" where the kids followed clues to find Critter's cupcakes, but Miss Z waylaid my plans, deciding to stay up and fuss for a good 36 hours so I had to do everything the night before the party. At 12:30am, icing the last of the cupcakes, I decided to leave them in full view, and go to bed instead.

My favorite piece of the theme party were the invitations. They were too cute to resist. I found them on Etsy here.

Overall, we had a nice party. Critter loved it. Miss Bear was disappointed to learn that none of the presents were for her. And we sorely missed the family who were unable to make it due to illness, distance, and work obligations.


Have you heard of Happy Nappers yet? My kids LOVE them. This present stole the day.

Happy 5th birthday, little BIG man!

“I’m not interested in creating a book that is read once and then placed on the shelf and forgotten. I am very happy when people have worn out my books, or that they’re held together by Scotch tape.”
— Richard Scarry

2 comments:

  1. happy birthday to your big man. I've not heard of happy nappers before but can see by the video why they'd be a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Gardenia, the song alone is addicting! We never heard of them either until my MIL gave the kids a mini plush figure that sang the song. My husband looked it up, saw the ad, and they were hooked. I must admit that they are pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!