Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Date is Set!

I'm not so sure how much of that "!" I feel at the moment, as nerves are surpassing the excitement. But, nerves or no, we have set my induction for this Wednesday, the 28th, at 8:00am, on the Feast of the Holy Innocents.

Here I am, today, at 39 weeks.

Today's appointment went well, and the baby looks great. Well, smooshed as he or she is, anyway! Current estimates put it at 8 lbs, 14 oz, but as we know from experience, it could be much heavier - or smaller, though quite doubtful for my situation. To put it in perspective, Critter was estimated at 40 weeks at 7.5 lbs. He went another week and a day and came out a whopping 10 lbs, 9 oz. Miss Bear measured about 9.5 lbs at 39 weeks. She ended up being a lean 10 lbs, 12 oz.

My doctor did not measure my uterus this time, but without doubt I measure weeks ahead. Last week, at 38 weeks, I measured 41 weeks.

So anyhow, the baby is coming, whether we are ready or not in six days! As I told my husband, it is a little more nerve-wracking for me to schedule because somehow, for me, when labor starts spontaneously, it seems unexpected (though logically I know the baby is coming any day, it just doesn't feel like it will). Whereas scheduling it is so final and makes me a little scared, nervous, excited, jumpy, etc. If that makes any kind of weird sense. But I sure do not feel like having the baby along the highway again, in our brand-new van, and risk having an even larger baby.

Now, the question I have to decide on is having an epidural or not. My doctor asked if I wanted one, and I was completely thrown by the question. But I have time to decide. I only have one reason to have an epidural, and I am not convinced that is reason enough to have one.

Just a little blurb I ran across from the book Winter Song by Madeleine L'Engle and Luci Shaw, reflecting on the reality of the Christ child then and now:

This is no time for a child to be born,
With the Earth betrayed by war and hate
And a comet slashing the sky to warn
That time runs out and the sun burns late.
That was no time for a child to be born
In a land in the crushing grip of Rome
Honor and truth were trampled by scorn --
Yet here did the Saviour make his home.
When is the time of love to be born?
The inn is full on planet earth,
Any by a comet the sky is torn --
Yet Love still takes the risk of birth.

3 comments:

  1. First, you look beautiful !! Secondly, that's a poignant poem! What an amazing feast day for your child's birthday! God bless. You'll be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gardenia - much appreciated! Have a beautiful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole I pray for a safe delivery...I agree with Gardenia, that's a wonderful birthday for your child to have.

    Wishing you a happy and holy Christmas. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!