Monday, November 21, 2011

Patriotic Alphabet Parade: "G"eorge Washington

Last week the AEP kids had fun with the letter G and learned all about George Washington. Plus, at home, we had a lot of fun with our George Washington extras!

Our format week-to-week is pretty consistent:

  • sing ABC song have a grab bag with letter of the week items (G: green, glitter, goose, gorilla, guitar, giraffe, gift, ghost, goat, grapes, grasshopper, girl)
  • read "My 'g' Sound Box" book by Jane Belk Moncure
  • practice letter writing and color a picture using the pages I created (G is for George Washington: Pre-K version or Kindergarten version)
  • eat a snack (Grapes) and read a book about George Washington
  • craft time:
    • craft: read The Cherry Tree and made cherry tree mosaics using construction paper and glue sticks (see picture below).
    • letter collage using collage sheets I made (G is for Green and Glitter - can use green glitter, or color in green and then add glitter, or just put on glitter. We used glitter glue sticks.)
  • Played with quarters - looked at the images (had magnifying glasses), tried quarter rubbings (did not turn out well - perhaps use a thinner paper than construction paper?), flipped quarters and guessed heads or tails (probability).
At home, I took Critter's papers, finished what I needed to with him, and continued work on his alphabet scrapbook. Here is what I came up with:

First Page




The handwriting/coloring page. 


Second Page


"G is for Green and Glitter" - Critter skipped out on coloring but used green glitter quite a bit. Miss Bear really, really enjoyed using glitter glue. Perhaps a little too much!

Third Page


Out of all the kids in the class, I think Critter really enjoyed this and did a great job (and I'm not being biased because there are so many times he does not want to participate!!!). To make the craft easier (and quicker for our short time slot), I had pre-cut shapes of construction paper that the kids then tore into pieces to make the bark, leaves, and cherries. I also printed up some labels of "I cannot tell a lie" to go along with the story of The Cherry Tree.

Fourth Page


And the fun lapbooky part of the scrapbook. I think Skipper was a little jealous (they really get into lapbooks!). First we did a little memory exercise with the cherry tree story. Critter told me what he remembered - with a teensy bit of prompting - and I wrote a simplified version for him on this template (scroll down). Then we made a little book and read about George Washington's life (I read and he guessed what tab it went under - childhood, jobs, military, family, presidency). From there, we made up the Many Talents of George wheel and the picture name wheel (and talked about each as we did it).

Today we are doing the letter "I" for Immigrants and Inventors. It should be a lot of (messy) fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!