Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Jesse Tree


Outside of the Advent Wreath, this is my children's favorite daily ritual during Advent. I made a Jesse Tree last year using the felt pattern found here. If this is your first year doing the Jesse Tree, and you do not want to stay up late for a few days cutting and glueing, why not start with a simple posterboard tree or even a miniature tree, and add on paper ornaments like these?

This truly is a simple way to bring Advent daily to your children. We hang our ornament up each morning during our morning prayer and devotion (this actually is our devotion during Advent). The kids find the ornament (or two) for the day and we read the story surrounding the ornament as well as the meaning or to answer questions should the kids have them.

The biggest issue I had with this is that it makes a huge banner - and one that the cat loves to jump on to knock all the ornaments down. I think I had to pick them up nearly every morning. This year I will have to figure out where to hang it and see if I have better luck!

Also this year I plan on purchasing the 12 Days of Christmas expansion pack. I think it would be a nice addition to add to our Christmas season as I really struggle keeping Christmas going past the day itself and the few days after. If I can cut out and make those few ornaments the devotions will be easy for myself, my husband, or any family visitors to share with the kids (especially when the kids will ask so nicely, right?). And, if I do not get to it? Well, I will be content and pack it away for next year!

5 comments:

  1. this is beautiful! It is so interesting that your child loves this project the most, just behind the Advent wreath. It has struck me as being a little over my daughter's understanding for the last couple years, but we are trying it this year with enthusiasm! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my then 5 1/2 year old loved it. His younger brother just loved putting up the ornaments. Now he's
    4 1/2 (almost 5) so we'll see how he reacts this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did the Jesse tree last year, but we had a disposable booklet for the readings. Where do you get your Jesse tree readings? (GREAT Jesse tree by the way! It's awesome!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually bought the felt and pattern kit from Leaflet Missal last year (link above). It comes with a list of matching scripture so I just use the kids' Bible where I can and mine for those few scriptures not in the kids'.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!