Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Advent & Christmas Books


We do a lot of reading around here. Not as much as we used to (or as much as I would like to), but we still love to read! This year will be fun because Skipper is starting on reading "regular" books so he can probably handle a few of the board books for Miss Bear. 

Our collection has come from varying sources - and through the years: purchased by me, given as gifts from others, and found at thrift stores. Each year I try to buy another 2 or 3 that are more fitting for specific times of Advent and Christmas.

This year I plan on wrapping up the books for a book a day - a first for us. I think this will be an "easy" and "fun" way for the kids to experience anticipation and waiting. Not to mention I can read a new book a day rather than the same group each day! I will do the purple/pink wrapping for Advent (like this here) and I will add some white covered books for the Christmas season. Don't you think that will be a fun daily to-do for the kids - and a constant - for that first week or so post-baby? And, best of all, it is easy to read while resting! Unless you lose your voice... 

In no particular order, here is our current collection:

The Perfect Tree

The Visit of the Wise Men by Martha Jander

Peanuts A Charile Brown Christmas by Charles M. Schulz

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

A Stocking for Jesus by Suzanne M. Arruda

Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer

The Twelve Days of Christmas by Jan Brett

The Christmas Candle by Richard Paul Evans

The Donkey's Dream by Barbara Helen Berger

Waiting for Christmas: a Story About the Advent Calendar by Kathleen Long Bostrom

Treasury of Christmas Tales

The Most Beautiful Christmas Story by Maite Roche

Jingle Bells

The Christmas Tree Book

Little Golden Book The Christmas Story by Jane Werner

A Special Place for Santa by Jeanne Pieper

Advent Storybook: 24 Stories to Share Before Christmas by Antonie Schneider

Little Golden Book Silent Night

Just in Time for Christmas by Louise Borden

The Twelve Days of Christmas: a Christmas Carol

I also ordered four new books (I could not resist!):
And finally, I put a hold on some library books so those will be fun to go through! I am especially looking forward to A Little House Christmas since we have started in on the first of the Little House books and A Darcy Christmas (a little something for myself - I love Pride and Prejudice and some of the spin-offs so we will see!).

I do love the idea of grouping the books by week. Week 1 - Advent/Decoration/Preparation stories. Week 2 - Giving/Santa Claus/St. Nicholas. Week 3 - Family. Week 4 - Nativity/Angels. But I am not going to kill myself doing that. I have a few books for specific days but other than that, unless it is very obviously a book for Advent or a book for Christmas, I will put them anywhere!

Finally, do not forget a little something for yourself to aid with personal reflection and prayer throughout Advent. I have daily reflections to use for Advent and I am hoping that a friend is able to loan me a book called Wood of the Cradle, Wood of the Cross: The Little Way of the Infant Jesus by Caryll Houselander. She is awaiting its return from a previous borrower. She said it is a simple, but appropriate read for Advent - perfect!

9 comments:

  1. a lovely collection of books. Many I've not seen before, and will want to check them out. thanks for sharing, Nicole. I love your other Adevent traditions. I'm thinking of doing the advent chains too and have them printed out (but I love your red green and gold colors better than my purple pink and yellow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardenia, my husband is in charge of the Advent chain. He uses whatever we have on hand but usually does two colors (red/green if he can pick!) along with the yellow star on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certainly a few titles here that have my attention. Thank you for sharing the list...books are made to share special time with.

    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you group your books by theme. You have mentioned quite a few titles I had not heard of. I'll enjoy looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth - glad you see some new books. We love books!

    Laurie - I love the idea of grouping them but I didn't follow it exactly this year. I was lucky to get them all wrapped! ;) The kids are really enjoying the book, Waiting for Christmas, as well as Treasury of Christmas Tales right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to check out some of these new (to me) titles! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have a great list! I wish that I would have started collecting these books when my kids were much younger. But over the past few years, between Amazon and the library, we have had our share of delightful literature. Your children will love reading these books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nicole,

    You have a great selection of books. I like the way you organize by the week. I usually have books in piles for my son to go through at random. I came over from seeing your blog linked at Shower of Roses to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Noreen - glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!