Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pumpkin Recipes

When you think of fall and the kitchen, what do you think of? Apples? Fresh loaves of bread from the oven? Soup simmering on the stove? Squash? Comfort foods? Pumpkin? I think about all of these, but this year pumpkin is winning out as being the favorite item to cook/bake with. Here a few hits of these past weeks. Hope you enjoy! All of these recipes are gluten/dairy/soy/egg-free.

Pumpkin Chili


I loved how this chili tasted using the pumpkin. Usually chili has a tomatoey kind of taste but this was full of fall flavor. Paired beautifully with my corn muffins.
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 pepper (I prefer red)
  • 2 jalapenos (optional - I omitted)
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 c. water
  • 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice (I had none so I substituted 3/4 pumpkin can of water + 2 Tbsp. ketchup - I think I prefer this over the tomatoes)
  • 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • sour cream (optional, as garnish)
  • cilantro, fresh or dried (optional, as garnish)
In a food processor chop up the garlic through the jalapenos. If you like chunkier pieces, cut it the old-fashioned way. Heat oil in a large pot and saute the vegetables, stirring often, until soft and tender. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add spices, water, pumpkin, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for at least 30 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and/or cilantro, if desired.

Pumpkin Pancakes

For the complete recipe, see The Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen (she also has a much nicer picture than mine). Here are my notes for this recipe:
  • If you follow this recipe exactly, it makes 4 very large pancakes that all fell apart, but that did not change the taste!
  • Instead, slowly pour the batter to make smaller pancakes. Skipper prefers the bigger one, all messed up, but Critter likes dollar-sized ones.
Frosted Pumpkin Bars


This recipe was one of the first I tried when the boys were initially diagnosed two years ago, and it is still an absolute fall must. My husband, heavy gluten-eater that he is, scarfs this down in no time flat. The full recipe is here, but I have adapted it to make it egg-free as well. Here are my notes:
  • My favorite flour blend for this recipe is: 4 c. superfine brown rice flour, 1 1/3 c. potato starch, 2/3 c. tapioca starch but really, I've made it with others, and it has never failed to delight.
  • To make it egg-free, replace the 3 eggs with 4 1/2 tsp. Ener-G egg replacer whisked with 6 Tbsp. warm water.
  • I cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping out to cool on a wire rack.
  • Do not frost until it is cool!
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
No picture - they were sucked down too fast!
  • 2 c. vanilla ice-cream
  • 1 c. milk
  • 2/3 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or mix of cinnamon and nutmeg)
  • cool whip as garnish (optional)
  • pumpkin pie spice as garnish (optional)
Combine ice-cream through the pumpkin pie spice in a blender and blend until milkshake consistency. Pour in glasses and top with cool whip or spice, as desired.

We skipped out on the toppings but that did not bother anyone. I tried a few sips to see what it tasted like - though I try to stay away from dairy - and it was very yummy. This would work well with alternative milks as well, though I suspect rice ice-cream and milk would be the best base.

No comments: