Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Most Holy Rosary


This month is dedicated to the Most Holy Rosary. I love saying the Rosary, but I still struggle on when to do it, so it is never done daily. I have tried first thing in the morning, and that works great, except on the days the kids wake up too early - and cranky. I have tried it before going to bed. I am sure you figured out how that one ended.

Since my focus on the kids this month is with the Rosary, I have been trying other times. After school, but before lunch - too restless (for the littlest ones). After lunch - the kids are energized from eating and want to run around like crazy. The rest of the afternoon and into dinner flies by too quickly to even think about saying it. And then there is bedtime. Snuggling up and praying the Rosary sounds like a beautiful way to end the evening, doesn't it? Apparently that image is not the norm in my household. Miss Bear is melting down. Critter takes forever to dress himself, brush his teeth, etc. so that he misses out on the reading and snuggle time that we do have, short as it is. And Skipper has been going through some crazy, I-don't-want-to-sleep-and-be-away-from-you phase right now so most of the time is spent calming him down and saying goodnight.

I have tried saying the Rosary once Miss Bear is asleep and with the boys in their bed, thinking it would help lull them to sleep, except that Skipper wants to join in - great! - but then he gets overly tired and cranky, and it takes awhile for him to calm down. So praying the Rosary is still a struggle. Perhaps we need to head to bed a little earlier, if that's even possible as they all go to bed much earlier than most kids I know! We start getting ready for bed between 6:30 and 7 to have lights out at 7:30. The biggest reason is not the youngest ones but Skipper! He wakes up at dawn no matter what time he goes to bed. He is very much an early bird.

With the focus on the Rosary this month, I have been more dedicated in bringing the Rosary to the kids. In general, we have been using this lapbook, and going over one set of mysteries per week, praying one decade a day. At the end of the week, I say the entire Rosary at bedtime (though I missed last week as I had no voice!). As we pray a decade, the boys have colored in the beads of a Rosary coloring page (part of the lapbook). Miss Bear plays quietly nearby. So while we struggle to figure the best time of day to do it, at least we are trying to do it. At the end of the month I plan on having a candy Rosary to finish off the lapbook. That should draw all of their attention!

Front cover - I really wanted a blue folder to make it prettier but I used what I had.

Back cover - I added the images and the words in blue. There is also a large pocket on the back where the coloring pages are held.

Inside, Part 1: history and whys and hows of the Rosary, Rosary cards, mysteries. I added images and the Rosary card images and pocket.

Inside, Part 2: more mysteries, pop-up mystery image books.

Close-up of the pop-up mystery image book.

2 comments:

  1. It is sure a challenge here at our house too. I also have difficulty finding the right time to pray the Rosary. So, sometimes I do little bits and pieces here and there thropughout my day, and hope it all adds up. I do love your lapbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gardenia - I like the lapbook too. The two little ones aren't too impressed but I know it will be a good resource for the future. And while the lapbook is simple enough to recreate on your own, I felt the $10 I spent well worth the time it would have taken me to create my own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!