Saturday, October 15, 2011

Astronomy!


Skipper's science has become so boring and more like work, rather than something fun and educational. After looking around, I came across the Exploring Creation books by Apologia Science, which really caught my eye. And nearly all the reviews I read were very positive. The one review that certainly boosted this product in my mind was from a mom coming from a Jewish background saying not to dismiss this book out-of-hand just because it is written with a Christian/Creation basis. The books are geared for the elementary years (K-6) and go in-depth at their level. It takes an entire year to cover a subject. The kids are immersed in the subject matter through readings and hands-on activities for every lesson. Most of the supplies needed are around the home or cheap to purchase. I think that says a lot, don't you?

Obviously, we need to experience this book before adding our own opinions to the rave reviews but I think we are going to have a lot of fun. Skipper chose Astronomy to study this year, and even his grandpa was all fired up when I told him what we will be doing. He has promised to give us a fold-up, plastic star map for the sky. I do have a few other resources that we will be using:
  1. Exploring Creation with Astronomy, the textbook
  2. Exploring Creation with Astronomy, lapbook package (my boys really love lapbooks)
  3. Glow-in-the-Dark Constellations: a Field Guide for Young Stargazers by C.E. Thompson - this book looks really neat. It only has the basic constellations but with each, you have a page of text (the story behind the constellation, info on the constellation itself, best time of year to view the constellation, and how to find the constellation in the sky). Then the other page is a picture of an outdoor scene with the stars in the sky and the constellation itself will glow-in-the-dark (and it does!).
  4. Find the Constellations by H.A. Rey - Best-loved Curious George author brings the stars to the young and old alike. It is filled with a ton of information and lots of kid-friendly illustrations in the author's familiar style.
  5. Melissa & Doug Solar System 48-piece floor puzzle - I broke this out already to begin the excitement. The puzzle is super simple for Skipper but he loves it anyway, and Critter loves it too. Skipper is amazed at how many moons each planet has.
I also have some fun things planned as extras, if we get to them. While I was at it, and to qualify for free shipping, I purchased a moon in my room for the boys for Christmas. Fun! I ordered all of my items from Rainbow Resource except for the lapbook which I ordered from the link above. By signing up for their newsletter, I received a $10 off coupon and so ended up buying it for nearly half-off!

We are all excited and cannot wait to begin!

    No comments: