Sunday, October 2, 2011

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear


On this feast of the guardian angels, our plans naturally changed. We decided to stay another night with my parents so we did not make it home until later afternoon this afternoon. I still surprised the kids' with "tea with our angels" but instead of making angel kisses, we used white powdered donuts, calling them "angel cakes." Yesterday I set up our little kids' table with the tea set and decorations (minus the donuts) to have it all ready. It was the first thing they saw when we made it home - and were they excited!



Some time ago I had found some donut baking molds from Wilton on sale but had yet to try a recipe. The classic yellow cake recipe (from The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook by Cybele Pascal) seemed like it would be a good choice since it was dense and moist. My husband was the one who had made the suggestion after making the cake for the first time awhile back. So I made those up yesterday, cutting the recipe in half and adjusting baking times. Once cooled, I dropped them in a bag of powdered sugar and whitened them up. The donuts worked out great (and tasted yummy too!) since I needed donuts for the gluten-free kids on Monday for the co-op and a special breakfast treat for our First Friday gathering this coming week anyway. The kids sure loved them! Overnight, the powdered sugar "melted" into the cake but it still tasted great. I'll have to see what happened to the ones I put in the freezer.


Critter kicked off the "tea" (milk) with the Angel of God prayer that he loves so much now, and we dug in. They are in their shower/bath right now. After, we'll share some warm apple cider and cozy up on the couch to reading My Guardian Dear: A Story of the Angels (Mi Angel de la Guarda: Un Cuento Acerea de los Angeles) by Miriam Lademan and Susan Brindle. Happy feast day and Sunday to you and yours!

Angel of God,
my guardian dear,
to whom God's love commits me here,
ever this day,
be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule and guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...