Wednesday, October 19, 2011

All American Lunch

Continuing on with our American-themed meals this week...

Corn Chowder
New Hampshire (the chowder part)


This soup was quick and easy to make. I adapted it very liberally from another recipe - so much that this is not the same recipe at all, but it worked. Next time I will omit the thyme, and just use salt and pepper and some cilantro at the end. I love growing and smelling thyme, but the taste of it has never set well with me. Next time I will also blend it a little more to make it more creamy than chunky (more for the kids than me - I like chunky).
  • 8 red potatoes, chopped, with skin on
  • 1 quart (4 cups) broth (I used chicken)
  • 4 cups frozen corn
  • 1 tsp. thyme (will omit next time)
  • pepper and salt to taste
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 4 slices bacon (could be optional to make it vegetarian)
  • olive oil
Add the potatoes through the seasonings to a crock pot and start it on high. In a bit of olive oil (1-2 Tbsp.), saute the pepper, onion, and bacon until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the crockpot. Cook on high for four hours. Using an immersion blender (or the old-fashioned blender), blend to your desired consistency - more blending for more of a chowder. Spoon into bowl and season with fresh cilantro, chopped fine, or use a bit of dried cilantro like I did (easier to store).

Crab Cakes
Maryland


For a long while now I have wanted to experiment with a gluten and egg-free crab cake, and by george, I think I have it, and it is extremely quick and easy. This is a very crabby recipe without all the frills of extra spices and fillings. I think I could do with a bit more spice, however, or make sure to have a side of sauce to dip it in. I would have whipped up a quick dipping sauce using plain dairy-free yogurt, except all I had was vanilla-flavored coconut yogurt, and I did not think that would work well! And bonus, it turns out Critter actually likes crab cakes! Skipper tried a bite as promised but he still thinks it tastes like fish.
  • 2 cups lump crab, fresh or canned, doesn't matter
  • 2 Tbsp. plain dairy-free yogurt (or if you can do it, mayo)
  • 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 "egg" using Ener-G egg replacer (or the real thing)
  • 3-4 Tbsp. almond flour, as needed to bind (or use breadcrumbs)
  • pinch of salt
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Heat up some butter or oil in a skillet. Fry on each side, about 4 minutes or so per side (nice and browned). Remove from heat. Serve with sauce if desired. **These were a bit fragile to move around so careful on flipping it over and transferring to serving plate. It does firm up more as it cools.

Pizza
New York


Self-explanatory. Here we are using Kinnikinnick Personal Size Gluten-Free Pizza Crusts, a personal favorite of Skipper. Another pre-made crust we have been using recently comes out of California (Venice Bakery).

Candied Walnuts using Maple Syrup
Vermont


Addiction alert! These were so good. I will definitely have these on the list for the holidays. Simple + sweet + delicious = a winner in my house. Just a note... Definitely make these the night before so the nuts "candy up." I cooked mine over the stove until it looked like the nuts were getting sticky - like little sticky sugar pieces could be seen. I poured them onto wax paper to cool (do not do this since some will stick!). Just pour them into a small glass container. Cool and cover with lid. By morning, the sugar will have become solid again and is easier to hold. You can eat once it is cooled off but it will be stickier, though just as sweet!
  • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup - the real stuff, no imitation or it will not work
  • 1 cup walnuts
Combine and begin to heat in small saucepan over medium heat. Turn up to medium-high heat and continually stir until the maple syrup is melted and the nuts become coated with sugary stickiness. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Gum
Maine


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!