Monday, September 26, 2011

October Liturgical Plans


Monthly Dedication: Most Holy Rosary

Saint Therese of Lisieux (October 1st)

The kids will be out of town with my parents for an early anniversary gift to my husband and I. Do you know we have never truly celebrated our anniversary in a "big" way since we were married (this year it will be 8 years) because of being pregnant/sick or having clingy (so sweet) little ones? Not that we will do anything big but we have plans to head out for a Saturday matinee to watch Courageous, the next movie from the producers of Fireproof. Instead, I will tell you the little somethings we did last year:
Dear Little Flower of Lisieux, how wonderful was the short life you led. Though cloistered, you went far and wide through fervent prayers and great sufferings. You obtained from God untold helps and graces for His evangelists. Help all missionaries in their work and teach all of us to spread Christianity in our own neighborhoods and family circles. Amen.

I do plan on joing the novena prayer for St. Therese (starting September 22nd) from Pray More Novenas.


Feast of the Guardian Angels (October 2nd)

I will have a surprise tea party set up to share with our angels. I did this last year and the kids loved it. I have a little girl's tea set that we use with water to pretend. For food I will make some Angel Kisses first thing that morning. On the table I plan to put out some white flowers and the a wooden angel doll for each of the kids. And naturally, we will say the "Angel of God" prayer as we do every day. Perhaps Critter will lead us in prayer as he is so proud to have learned this prayer. He is trying to replace it for all his prayers.


Saint Francis of Assisi (October 4th)
  • Read Saint Francis of Assisi (Encounter the Saints Series) over the week.
  • Make a bird "feeder" out of a styrofoam tray, string and food.

Our Lady of the Rosary (October 7th)

This day also happens to land on First Friday. We will head to our usual 8:15 am Mass before gathering together with local parish families to honor Our Lady of the Rosary. Another mom is leading the activity so this will be a surprise!


All Saints Day (November 1st) - Looking Ahead

Perhaps I was crazy thinking that I could start up an All Saints Day party for our parish. What was I thinking?! Well, ok, I wanted to create a time for the kids of our parish to get excited about all the saints, known and unknown, that we can look to as our "hereos" for our lifetime. I wanted an alternative for those who choose not to participate in local Halloween customs (we do like trick-or-treating so that's not us). And, I have loved seeing other All Saints Day parties being so successful and seeming to be so much fun. So here I am, leading this endeavor.
Ideally, I would have loved to have had it on All Saints Day itself but this year it appears that is not possible so it will be held the Saturday prior (October 29th). Our turnout will probably be small considering the day but perhaps that will be a good thing. You know, the whole start small and then build it up kind of philosophy.

Right now, a few volunteers and I, are figuring out what we want to do. I will definitely post more on this later!

**I know there are more feast days than this in October but I am sticking to my bare bones plan. Between planning the party, being pregnant, homeschooling, co-teaching at a co-op, looking ahead to the holidays and preparing for baby, among all the other "life" going on, I am sure it will be just perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!