Monday, September 12, 2011

Noah's Ark Pre-K Style

Last month I used the story of Creation as the springboard for Critter's faith formation lesson. I enjoyed it and so did he. However, a month is a very long time and I felt it was too drawn out. To change it up, I have created a one month plan consisting of four week "lessons" based off of stories from the Old Testament (and to be a part of each of his three days of school). The first of these was Noah's Ark. It was short, sweet, simple, and the kids loved it (yes, all of them). Here's what we did:

My main goal of doing the Noah's Ark lesson was to convey the message that God always keeps His promises. And also to love God and listen for His will in your life no matter what others around you are doing.

First we started with the Bible story. Critter's current Bible is The Illustrated Catholic Children's Bible. This was followed by a simple prayer:

Dear God, please help me to be kind to all of God's creatures both big and small, for they need love too.

Of course we threw in some songs. The boys are ok with this - it is mostly for Miss Bear's benefit who absolutely loves songs. We sang Jesus Loves Me and a Noah's Ark song. Here are the lyrics (sang to the tune of "Old MacDonald had a Farm"):

Good old Noah built an ark,
Like God told him to.
And on that ark he took two _____,
Like God told him to.
With a _____ here and a _____ there,
Good old Noah built an ark, (And if you do what God says do,)
Like God told him to. (He will bless you too.)

**Sing the words in italics for the last verse.

Finally we wrapped up with an activity. On the first day, the kids made a rainbow using pipe cleaners and white modeling clay (which is still drying!). They want to put their rainbows on their shelf in their bedrooms.


On day two, we did some animal cracker math (and eating). I created a picture of Noah's ark (or you can use this one) and gave each a bowl of animal crackers (we used Mi-Del Gluten-Free Arrowroot Cookies). Critter rolled a die, counted the dots, and put that many animals on the ark. Skipper stepped it up and used two dice and then added the two together to find his number of animals to put on the ark. Miss Bear simply danced her animals across the ark before they found their way to her mouth.


On the last day, the kids did a little art. I used 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of white posterboard and taped a dove shape to it using painter's tape (so I could remove the dove after painting). I made sure to fill in all of the dove with tape so paint would not touch that area. My inspiration for this craft came from here (along with dove template), which says to use removable contact paper. I have never seen such a thing but I also did not have time to look, so I used what I had. The kids then took watercolors and went to town. When done, I peeled off the dove while the paint was still wet. The kids really, really loved this activity - all of them. So much so, they went on to create their own works of inspirational art (Critter did a self-portrait and Skipper created a dolphin swimming in the ocean).


There are so many activities you can do for Noah's Ark, and many adaptable for older/younger kids as well. But this was perfect for our "light" week and most importantly, it was fun and engaging! Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so cute! I love the animal crackers in the ark. =) I am working on a good book list for you. =) It's taking me some time to gather all the titles and resources, but I'll have it up sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so sweet Elisa! I can't wait to see the list you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!