Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Summer with the Saints: St. Rose of Lima

"Help me to remember what is really important: that I am Your child. You are my Father. You love me for who I am and how I live; not what I look like or what I own. Let me praise You Who sees into my heart, Who is always with me, and Who eases my suffering." ~~prayer of St. Rose

St. Rose of Lima was born in Peru and lived there her entire life during the late 1500s and early 1600s (she died when she was 31). As a young child of five, she made a vow of virginity and longed to enter a cloistered monastery. Despite her wishes, her parents kept her at home, and eventually wanted her to marry, which she refused. St. Rose was a beautiful child which she detested but her mother took pride in. St. Rose did multiple things to not bring attention to her beauty or to have it be a cause of pride for her: cut off her hair, stuck pins in a crown of roses her mother put on her head, rubbed the juice from chilis on her face. St. Rose was the first canonized saint of the Americas.

Today is the feast day of St. Rose and last week we celebrated with a very simple gathering. Another mom took charge and the kids made holy cards along with a paper rose to put on their holy cards. After the kids enjoyed a lot of play time at the park since it was such a beautiful day!


Today, on her feast day, I tied in Critter's "C is for Crucifix" craft (from CatholicIcing) with St. Rose by writing her very words along the side of the crucifix: "Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get into heaven."


St. Rose, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!