Tuesday, July 5, 2011

All-American Banana Split Dessert


I loved this dessert as a kid. My best friend's mom made it for me and I fell in love. It is such a simple, easy, summery dessert. Give it a try!

Note: I kept it gluten-free but did not have the time or energy to make it 100% dairy-free but that would be simple to do by replacing the cool whip with rice whip.

The Crust

Take a box of Kinnikinnick gluten-free graham crackers and break into small crumbs using your food processor (a bag and rolling pin would work too). If you want soy-free, you may want to make your own graham crackers. The box says there is soy but it is in the form of soy lecithin which is controversial.

Melt 3/4 cups Spectrum shortening in the microwave and mix with the graham crackers (roughly 3 cups if you are making your own crackers). I mixed mine right in a 9x13 pan and smoothed out the bottom to make the crust. Pop it in the freezer to harden while you make the filling.

The Filling

While the crust hardens, bring out your mixer and mix up 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 "eggs" (I used Ener-G egg replacer: 3 tsp replacer + 4 Tbsp water), and 1 cup of Earth Balance soy/dairy free "butter." I think Spectrum would work too; I just ran out. After the sugar mixes in some, pick up the speed and beat on high until the mixture becomes thick and creamy (in my KitchenAid stand mixer this took about 5-6 minutes; a hand mixer will take longer).

Once done, take the pan out of the freezer and spread the custard layer on top of the crust. Then layer with the following toppings, in this order:

  1. sliced bananas (used about 3)
  2. crushed pineapple (20oz can, drained)
  3. cool whip
  4. fruit and nuts (my favorite is strawberries and walnuts but for the 4th I made a flag of blueberries, strawberries and walnuts)
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Missed being able to create this masterpiece for the 4th, but it looks tasty enough for anytime! I found you in a round-about way through a Meme "Pay It Forward" Would love for you to stop by and pay us a visit, perhaps get involved with the Meme...

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, create this any time! I only made it festive by turning it into the flag. :)

    I saw the info on pay it forward on your blog (linked from FamilyAtTheFootOfTheCross). I'll check it out when I have more time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!