Monday, June 20, 2011

Women of Grace: Lesson 2

(From the book, Women of Grace: A Bible Study for Married Women by Michaelann Martin. These are my thoughts after reading the lesson.)

First Things First

Last week we realized that, ultimately, to live out our vocation of wife and mother (or whatever God calls us to do), we need to make God our first priority and we need to open ourselves up to Him, so that we may know His will for our life. But how exactly can we do that?

How often do I get caught up in my every day life? What's for dinner? Don't forget to put that on the shopping list. Ooh, that book looks so good; I wish I could buy it! And so on. And that is ok. That is part of being human. But to be a part of God, we need to stretch beyond ourselves and look to Him, and not just what this world can offer us. Live for eternity.

What does the Bible tell us to do? To imitate Christ and strive for heaven. What did Christ do? He served others, just as Mary served others and still serves us from heaven. So to imitate Christ, we must first serve others before serving ourselves. Wow, what a thing to say in today's society, isn't it? Does that mean us wives and mothers go around, dressed haphazardly and looking rundown. Of course not. Part of serving others is to serve yourself. And the best way you can serve yourself is to make time for prayer - every single day.

Yes, prayer can work wonders. Not just big wonders as I know you can think of something you heard only recently that attests to this, but in little things as well. Waking up and praying soothes my soul, prepares me for the day. Little prayers throughout the day enable me to make it through the day, to calm my temper, to give a little quiet time to an otherwise chaotic day. And prayer at night closes the day and fills me with peace as I lay it all down at our Lord's feet. Of course, this is an ideal day. I'm still far from perfect and am still trying to cement my prayer life so that I am praying constantly. But I certainly know that prayer has the power to change my day!

If you already take time out to pray, great! Perhaps God is calling you to a more deeper relationship with Him through service, Bible study, adding a daily Rosary to your prayer life, etc. Pray and seek Him always. If you wish to start, say a prayer right now. It does not have to be long, or fancy. Open up your heart to Him, confess your sins and say a prayer of adoration and thanksgiving.

"Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended on you." ~ St. Ignatius of Loyola

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!