Monday, June 13, 2011

Women of Grace: Lesson 1

(From the book, Women of Grace: A Bible Study for Married Women by Michaelann Martin. These are my thoughts after reading the lesson.)

Our Vocation is Hardly a Vacation

The Bible teaches us that love is patient, kind, selfless, forgiving, slow to anger, full of truth and hope, and is enduring (1 Corinthians 13:4-7). It also teaches us that God created man and woman to be joined as "one flesh" for life (Mark 10:6-9). What does this mean in relation to my vocation of marriage?

For me, long before I thought of marriage for myself and even more so as marriage to DH neared, I knew it was for life. In sickness and in health; until death do us part; and all that. My commitment to this belief only strengthened as I joined the Catholic Church the Easter before I was married. By believing and committing to this thought, I think it is easier for me in a lot of ways to weather the rough times. I know DH is there with me - forever, as long as both of us shall live. If something is wrong, I try to make it right before it gets out of hand, knowing that we are "stuck" with one another. I try to have fun with DH, to keep up our friendship so our relationship can last through the years. This all sounds great but it's not always so easy to practice. Know the saying about not letting the sun go down on your anger (Ephesians 4:25-29)? Let's just say this could use some work on my end. And this is where the grace of God comes in.

We, as women (men also) were blessed with a special grace during the Sacrament of Marriage. And hopefully, through prayer and leading a Christ-like life, we are blessed with even more graces to grow and learn within our vocation of marriage.

But how should I live out my vocation in this "modern" age? I don't have the ansers to that and I'm more flawed than perfect. BUT... I do know first and foremost I should look to God for His will for my life, just as Mary did when she said, "May it be done to me according to your word." (Luke 1:38) I should pray and look to the Bible for strength to be patient, kind, selfless, etc., especially in a world that looks to self and false gods. I should always have one eye on eternity, praying ceaselessly for my husband's soul (he who doubts), and live each day with these thoughts foremost.

May God bless you in your present vocation. May you always seek His will for your life first, and like Mary, say, "Your will be done."

No comments: