"Happiness is secured through virtue; it is a good attained by man's own will." ~~ St. Thomas Aquinas
School Plans/Reviews that include fifth grade: 2015-16
- Faith and Life 5 along with paper activity book.
- My Path to Heaven - read and reflect.
- Increase personal prayer and Bible reading.
- Once a month Confession.
- CCD: Prayer, The Mass, The 7 Sacraments -- making an interactive notebook. (I am the teacher.)
- Math-U-See (the steady pace, similar problems works well with my son).
- Comic Strip Math Problem Solving (as a supplement; my struggling math student groaned at doing this book).
- Building Real Life Math Skills (as a supplement).
- For Comprehension: Reading 5 for Young Catholics (interesting, continuous story for the entire book).
- Audio Books.
- Read aloud using Seton's Faith and Freedom Readers (I love these books, and so do my children.)
- Independent Reading -- child's choice, my choice, and historical books to add to the history curriculum.
- Cursive handwriting practice.
- Spelling (Catholic Heritage Curricula) - at level.
- Grammar (Catholic Heritage Curricula) - at level.
- Grammar Supplements: Comic Strip Grammar and Grammar Puzzles and Mazes.
- Writing with Ease - at level.
- Independent Journal - various topics to choose from.
- Vocab from Classical Roots, Grade 5 (this book is fine but I have seen anti-Catholic wording in a future book).
- Latin - at level, using Memoria Press.
Real Science 4 Kids: Chemistry (1 quarter), Physics (1 quarter), and Biology (2 quarters). See science page for more detail.
U.S. History and Modern History -- using From Sea to Shining Sea as a spine (see history page for more detail).
Naturally, plenty of other learning goes on - dance class, karate, homeschool group activities, faith extras, cooking, drawing and painting, etc.