Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January

Dedication of the Month of January: The Most Holy Name of Jesus 
(Specific feast day is January 3rd.)
“Glorious name, gracious name, name of love and of power! Through you sins are forgiven, through you enemies are vanquished, through you the sick are freed from their illness, through you those suffering in trials are made strong and cheerful. You bring honor to those who believe, you teach those who preach, you give strength to the toiler, you sustain the weary” (St. Bernardine of Siena).
Mary, Mother of God (January 1st)



Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word incarnate, despise not my petitions, but, in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen. (The Memorare)
  • Go to Mass! It's a Holy Day of Obligation.
  • Pray the Memorare or a decade of the Rosary.
  • Read a book about Mary.
Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (January 4th)


We must pray without ceasing, in every occurrence and employment of our lives – that prayer which is rather a habit of lifting up the heart to God as in a constant communication with Him. 
~~Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton
Saint John Neumann (January 5th)


Merciful Father, You have given me all that I have in this world, even life itself. In all my daily needs, help me to remember the needs of others too. Make me aware of the need to pray to You not just for myself but for the Church, the Pope, for the clergy and for people who suffer any need. Make me as selfless as Saint John Nuemann. Throughout my life, give me the grace to direct my first thoughts to the service of You and of others. Make my prayer – “Your will be done” knowing that in Your mercy and love, Your will for me is my sanctification. I ask this through Jesus Christ, Our Lord. Amen.
~~Saint John Neumann
  • Support your local Catholic schools -- even if you homeschool. Can you donate money? Can you involve yourself in some way? In our parish, homeschoolers can join sports teams, donate goods requested by the school to raise money, attend parish school events, etc.
Saint John Bosco (January 31st)



Saint John Bosco, you reached out to children whom no one cared for despite ridicule and insults. Help us to care less about the laughter of the world and care more about the joy of the Lord. Amen.
For more winter liturgical ideas, see my Liturgical Year - Winter Pinterest board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!