Tuesday, January 12, 2010

August

Dedication for the Month of August: The Immaculate Heart of Mary


Mary, Mother of Jesus,
give me your heart
so beautiful, so pure,
so immaculate,
that I may be able to receive
Jesus in the Bread of Life,
love Him as you loved Him,
and serve Him as you served Him
in the distressing disguise
of the poorest of the poor.
Amen.
Saint Dominic (August 8th)


Light of the Church, Teacher of Truth, Rose of Patience, Ivory of Chastity, You freely poured forth the waters of wisdom; Preacher of Grace, unite us with the Blessed. Let us pray: Grant, we beseech You, Almighty God, that we who are weighed down by the burden of our sins, may be relieved through the patronage of the Blessed Dominic. Your Confessor and Our Father. Through Christ Our Lord. Amen.
  • Stay up and gaze at the stars.
Saint Lawrence (August 10th)


St. Lawrence, pray for us, that the flames of divine love may burn away all traces of vice within us, and that we may be practical and zealous in the service of the poor. Amen.
  • Attend (or host) a family BBQ.
Saint Clare of Assisi (August 11th)


"Place your mind before the mirror of eternity! Place your soul in the brilliance of glory! Place your heart in the figure of divine substance! And transform your entire being into the image of the Godhead Itself through contemplation."
Saint Maximillian Kolbe (August 14th)


Lord, You inflamed St. Maximillian with love for the Immaculate Virgin and filled him with zeal for souls and love for neighbor. Through his prayers, grant that we may work strenuously for Your glory in the service of others and so be made comfortable to Your Son until death. Amen.
  • Make intentional sacrifices for others.
Feast of the Assumption (August 15th)


Father in Heaven,
all creation rightly gives You praise,
for all life and all holiness come from You.
In the plan of Your wisdom
she who bore the Christ in her womb
was raised body and soul in glory to be with Him in Heaven.
May we follow her example in reflecting Your holiness
and join in her hymn of endless love and praise.
Saint Helena (August 18th)


Holy and blessed Saint Helena, with the anguish and devotion with which you sought the Cross of Christ, I plead that you give me God's grace to suffer in patience the labors of this life, so that through them and through your intercession and protection, I will be able to seek and carry the Cross, which God has placed upon me, so that I can serve Him in this life and enjoy His Glory ever after. Amen.
  • Make crosses out of basil and hang up in kitchen.
  • Pick basil out of the herb garden (or buy at the store): feel it, smell it, taste it. Use it to cook with and to decorate the table with. Tell the story of how basil helped St. Helen find the True Cross.
  • Play a game. Hide a cross and the kids have to find it.
  • Feast day 2011.
Queenship of Mary (August 22nd)


My Queen! my Mother! Remember thine own.
Keep me, guard me, as thy property and possession.
  • Make a Marian candle (tall plain glass candle and add various printed images of Mary with modpodge).
  • Crown lunch (for inspiration)
  • Color / Paint this page and add stars around her head.
  • Craft: stand-up Queen of Mary coloring page using watercolors.
  • Sing Hail Holy Queen.
  • Pray Hail Holy Queen and/or the Memorare.

Saint Rose of Lima (August 23rd)


"Help me to remember what is really important: that I am Your child. You are my Father. You love me for who I am and how I live; not what I look like or what I own. Let me praise You Who sees into my heart, Who is always with me, and Who eases my suffering." ~~prayer of St. Rose
  • Summer with the Saints: holy card and cross craft.
  • Food: make *rosy* (pink) lemonade and serve alongside cross-shaped cookies.
  • Copy work or art work using the words, "Apart from the cross there is no ladder by which we may get to heaven." 
Saint Monica (August 27th)


Great St. Monica, patroness of fathers and mothers, please take our children, especially those who have turned from the ways of God and His Church, under your protection. Let them always remain faithful to their baptismal vows. Give them strength to walk always in the ways of the Lord, despite the temptations and false values they find in the world today. Grant that they may share with you in the joys of eternal life in God. Amen.
Saint Augustine (August 28th)


Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy. Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy. Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy. Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy. Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.
  • Do something nice for mom.
For more summer liturgical year ideas, see my Liturgical Year - Summer Pinterest board.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I love to chat. God bless!